Alcohol tester

I found some alcohol testers on this web site:

Which of these testers is good. I have some tester which is shit, totally inexact. What do you think about cheap testers (35-50 $) or is better to buy expensive (100-150$) or it is the same inexact shit?

Reply to
adonet20

Just wait until the cops pull you over. You can use theirs for free.

Reply to
Candace

There's plenty of valid reasons to want a breath-tester, ie: if you're a company, or it's required as part of your job.

Reply to
gm

For a company to test their drivers, maybe.

But why would anyone want one to test *themselves* unless they were planning to drive when they had drunk so much they were potentially over the limit. Which seems like the wrong way to go about it to me...

Reply to
PC Paul

Police don't rely on their breathalyzers do they? Don't they take a blood or urine sample down at the station?

I for one wouldn't mind one as I do occasionally drink and then drive and have no idea if I'm over or under. While there's still a legal limit in this country of a couple of drinks or so I'm afraid I'm not with the "don't drink anything and drive" crowd. Sure, for everyone else, but not for me :-)

Anyway, I'm not sure what this has to do with maintenance or nascar.

Reply to
adder1969

Damn it, was hoping this was a job advert

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Nascar, fair enough. That's only barely to do with driving...

Maintaining a driving licence?

I'll have a half of cider if I'm driving, that's it. I don't fancy playing Russian Roulette with the breathalyser... or everybody else on the roads and pavements. I *know* I'm less affected by that than by, say, tiredness or very bad weather, so it seems to be an acceptable risk.

Correspondingly, I wouldn't drink at all if I was overtired or in a storm.. it's like all driving, there's an overall risk assessment that everybody has to do for themselves.

Reply to
PC Paul

But if they're not accurate they're no use to man nor beast.

Even if they are accurate they cannot predict what your alcohol in breath reading will be in 15 minutes time when you have climbed up to the top of your tower crane / get pulled over in the car.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

We got one of these:

and it's brilliant. We never use it to weigh up if we can have another drink or anything like that - we got it purely for "morning after" use so that we can be reasonably sure of being OK to go to work etc., etc. It's dead easy to use because it's calibrated for milligrams alcohol per millilitres blood, ie, the UK limit is 80mg alcohol in 100ml blood, so when the unit reads 080, that's the UK limit.

The Draeger units that the police use (Lancashire Constabulary) count 350 steps from zero to the UK legal limit of 80mg/100ml so are very accurate. The unit we got counts 80 steps from zero to the UK legal limit, so obviously not as accurate as the police units (mind you, it was more than ?500 cheaper) but good enough.

My wife and I make it a policy that if we blow 020 or above, we don't drive and wait for it to go down, even though that is well under the UK limit of

080.

John.

Reply to
John

'Reasonably sure'?

Is that what you will tell the family of the child you mow down?

You dirty pisspot.

Reply to
R D S

Is that means that this alcohol tester is not accurate (that he have

+/- 060 range)?

In my country (Croatia) limit is 0.00!

Reply to
adonet20

Your body naturally produces alcohol, so no one can acheive 0.00

Reply to
Candace

I don't drink. Haven't done for more than 5 years now.

I have been breathtested (for fun) on a police station visit recently, and blew 0 to three significant figures.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

"PC Paul" wrote

Well, when I was in my teens, we used to have a competition to see who could get the highest reading on an intoximeter. Not when we were about to drive- none of us owned a car at the time- but just for jolly.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Then near everyone will fail since the body manufactures alcohol under some conditions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you have to post this bollocks all over Usenet?

It's not like it's hidden in your sig, 'cos you don't have a proper sig-sep.

Reply to
SteveH

Do any of these state they will work well after hitting a utility pole at

70mph in a toyota SUV? A buddy of mine in NC was curious.
Reply to
brad

Urk, don't use terms such as SUV or AUV.

Buy the same brand as cops use and get them to calibrate it :-)

If you are paranoid, carry a bottle of water in the cupholder (C2H5OH is hygroscopic) Mythbusters missed that point :-)

However don't drink drive. Some people can, some can't, so the legal ranges are a mix of an average of that, as I understand the way things are set up (at least where I live).

Reply to
the_dawggie

My sig-sep is perfectly functional, and the contents of a SIG are not considered spam, no matter how much you might think they are.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

No, it is not.

Reply to