Alernator / Battery Problem...

Hi

I have just a few weeks ago replaced the alternator on my car (1998 S-plate Corsa 1.7D) due in the main to the brushes having worn out, but the vacuum pump had cracked and leaked oil all into the alternator.

The replacement unit i used was a reconditioned unit from a highly recommended local vendor/refurbisher. Once installed i observed the voltages with an el-cheapo multi meter and everything seemed tickerty boo :-) if perhaps a tiny bit low on tick over with the glowplugs going :-/ but it seemed to be charging and was fine for a couple of weeks so i was happy.

However in the last couple of days noticed that the alternator does not seem to pumping out sufficent power to charge the battery, last Wednesday the car seemed sluggish to start on the starter, then after 15mins drive refused to start with typical symptoms of low battery, and was still the same following a bumpstart and a couple of hours drive. I charged the battery for 5hours after which the charger was still not showing full, but the car would start.

With the engine running (and the 80amp glow plug fuse removed - they have an after burn phase) i noted that the voltage across the battery was 12.22 volts and rising at around 0.01v per second upto a maximum of around 13v.

If i then Switched on some heavy electical load such as the heated rear screen, the voltage registering on the multimeter would fall away rapidly and there would be no disernable small change in engine note as i can often detect when switching such high loads on. Further, before i replaced the alternator if i had the headlights on and slightly raised the RPM the lights (in common with many cars) would brighten ever so slightly, this no longer occurs, and IMHO they look a bit dimmer.

The "Battery" light is not illuminated.

However, pulling various fuses results in no changes with the exception of one.... Number 17 this is a 15A fuse which according to the legend on the fusebox cover is "KL" i do not have the manual for this car so i am unable to decipher its meaning. However removing this fuse cause all the instruments to go dead, and a relay in the footwell to click in...or out. Acompanying this click is a very slight change in engine note probably a small increase in RPM.

Anyone any ideas what could be amiss here? There are various online referances to a relay that is often found dead following alternator failure on Combo-vans (basically same engine) but this is often connected to the charge lamp staying on.

Kind Regards

Tom Burton

Reply to
Tom Burton

Well the most likely explanation is the reconditioned alternators died.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

you need a battery light have you checked that the battery light bulb hasnt blown ?

Reply to
reg

Lamp is fine, does not illuminate when engine is running, but illuminates with the ignition in position II.

Thanks

Reply to
Tom Burton

Hmm my opinion too, along with my spelling/spellchecker!

Anything that might have caused this other than it being dodgy? They guy has given me a warrenty on it but id rather not just keep on popping alternators if there is a root cause.

Thanks again.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

As much as i hate to reply to my own postings i have just remembered something else, the alternator gets rather warm on the outer casing.... Almost too hot to touch whilst the engine is running. There is also a runny noise eminating from that direction sounds a bit like a dry bearing, but im

95% sure that was already there and could be the water pump which has done over 100k :-/

Thanks Again guys, im sure im a PITA at times and a possible contender to be the new Pinking Peter.

Reply to
Tom Burton

Sods law. The early failure curves a git.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I had a 17td Corsa like that, I also just had the alternator reconditioned. The fist night after we fitted the recon alternator and a big fully charged battery, the corsa caught fire and did over £200k of damage.

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Fred

Just to follow up from this story mainly for archiving purposes,.

The Battery light has since stopped illuminating with the ignition on / position II.

I returned the unit to the vendor

and was expecting a bit of a fight. The Gentleman who runs the shop tested it (whist closing up at 6pm) whilst fitted to the vehicle, and in about 3mins concluded there was a fault with the alternator and it is still under warranty offered a replacement as soon as I can remove the existing unit.

Despite a faulty bit of kit (which can happen to anyone) I am totally delighted with the service and willingness to go out of their way for me

100/10 for powerpac I would recommend to anybody in the Bolton/ Manchester area.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton