Alloy wheels

I have a Vauxhall Omega with Alloy Wheels.

They are now rather corroded and could do with a facelift.

Any suggestions for a DIY job? I am a newbie to this newsgroup so it may have been covered

Thanks

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

"Colin Jackson" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sand 'em, bit of filler for any minor corrosion/kerbing damage, spray 'em.

BUT - it's a lot of work for a respectable job.

Reply to
Adrian

And about =A340 a wheel sees them shotblasted and powdercoated.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

They are now rather corroded and could do with a facelift.

Any suggestions for a DIY job? I am a newbie to this newsgroup so it may have been covered.

**************************************************** When I had a similar problem with the ally wheels on a Celica, I sprayed them with a single coat of smooth silver Hammerite from an aerosol can. 3-4 leasurely hours to do all five wheels with tyres. . After filling the deeper rim scratches with Plastic Padding, I broke the surface with some fine wet-or-dry with plenty of water to remove any trace of polish, and to smooth any chips in the old lacquer and paint etc.

With masking tape I then carefully taped round the tyre, tuckiing the tape between the tyre and rim, before using a piece of cardboard, cut to match a few inches of the rim diameter, before spraying the wheel itself. Moving the cardboard shield as required.

A lot easier and cheaper than the recommended method of undercoat, topcoat, lacquer etc, and IMO just as effective unless your looking for a high gloss finish.

3 years later the wheels still looked as smart as when they were first painted, with no signs of the paint flaking. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

Cheap up by you then Conor. It was £50/wheel last time I had it done (A1 Wheels, Wolverhampton), and that was a while ago. Worth every penny though: The finish was /superb/.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks Mike,

Just what I need