Alloy Wheels - is it just fashion?

What is the point of alloy wheels?

Some say weight saving, but surely that is wiped out by just one passenger.

Is there any practical reason for alloy wheels beyond them looking good?

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

Rockingrabbit gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Usually, it's the other way - factory steels are often lighter than factory alloys.

Sure, that's because most factory alloys are fairly thick castings - for a good reason, in order to withstand potholes and the like...

Is there any other reason needed?

Reply to
Adrian

You could say that about any weight saving on a car. Weight reduction is always good. However, most road car alloy wheels save very little weight.

Only that you can't lose your wheel trims.

Reply to
Doki

Although for the same tyre & strength the alloy one would be lighter.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In article , Adrian writes

In principle the less the unsprung mass the better; hence the quest for lighter wheels and the use of alloys on high performance cars. Like so many things today I suspect that most alloys are 'fake high performance' fashion accessories.

Reply to
Chris Holford

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not IME.

Competition alloys are light, but they're fragile. Steel road wheels are surprisingly light without tyres on.

Reply to
Adrian

I've only tried comparing like with like & find the opposite to be true. I've not noticed the minilites being fragile.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

True enough, but then you can't replace your alloys for less than

20ukp a set if you scuff the life out of them.
Reply to
Him & Her

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

PROPER Minilites aren't (or weren't) alloys. They were magnesium. Nor are they anything approaching cheap...

Reply to
Adrian

Unalloyed magnesium isn't much cop either. You can get miniltes in magnesium or aluminium from minilite, you're very unlikely to bend either. You bend alloys because you put rubber bands on them, I've never seen a bent Stag alloy either.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Another reason given sometimes is more air gets to the brakes to keep them cool (a steel wheel is more or less a complete disk without many gaps in it).

But brakes work very well these days for most purposes anyway.

Reply to
Ben C

You're missing the point about *where* the weight is saved. Not all weight saving is equal. Weight in the wheels is "unsprung weight" and the less unsprung weight you have, the better your shock absorbers and suspension will be able to work to maximize grip and traction.

I would agree though that most alloy wheels are entirely cosmetic and may not be lighter than steel wheels.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I'm not making a point about where weight is saved!

Indeed. And the lower profile tyres will increase the wheel rate. And you can fit bigger brakes.

Reply to
Doki

Do you know anyone that wants some stag alloys? Very cheap to clear?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

some cars have alloy wheels AND a wheel trim (not many I agree)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nope, 5 more here :-(

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It would seem a wise idea if you've got one those Teddy polos...

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not really. I'm sure larger steel wheels could be produced that would allow larger brakes and provide enough air.

Mate of mine just got a new BMW 325 with 19" alloys and rubber band tyres. Must be a bit bumpy I said. He agreed.

Of course a lot of people try to convince themselves that lower profile tyres give better handling with a smaller sidewall, but surely that's more down to the tyre construction and its pressure, look at F1 tyres after all.

Zimmy

I'm fairly sure that F1 tyre aspect ratios are limited by the regulations.

Reply to
Doki

I'm fairly sure that an F1 car still corners better than my mate's 325.

Zimmy