Alloy Wheels Repair Kerb Damage?

Hi i have some nice 17" alloys on my Volvo V70 but the previous owner obviously let their guide dog drive as every wheel has kerb damage! Does anyone know if this type of damage can be repaired effectively ? I have "googled" a few sites who claim to be able to repair them but would prefer a reccomendation from someone who has had it done with decent results. I live near Leeds West Yorks Volvo main dealer want £380 each + vat ! for new ones Thanks

Reply to
simon wood

Although I agree it is good to get a customer's recommendation, if you struggle maybe you could ask your local tyre fitters or bodyshop place. If you get sorted please post to let us know what happens. I'm considering getting my alloys done and i live in west yorks (and i'm the one to blame for the damage!) I've been given contacts in the past but never got round to sorting it.

Some before/after piccys would be cool if you do it!

Slightly off topic, but, for some reason, I thought that alloys were powder coated then lacquered but a local 'National Tyre's' said that they are just sprayed (then lacquered) as heat makes the powder coating come off. Can someone tell me the correct way of refinishing alloys so that I could be armed with questions to filter out the cowboys?! Might help Simon too..?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

When I bought my Mondeo nearly new from my Ford dealer, one of the alloys had been kerb scuffed. I pointed this out to the sales woman and she had it the wheel repaired. The wheel looked brand new when I picked the car up.

Try asking your dealer as they may be able to help.

Stephen :)

Reply to
StephenH

Reply to
simon wood

simon wood ( snipped-for-privacy@hbsx.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. Could that be anything to do with the margin on a new alloy, plus fitting, vs the markup on farming a repair out?

There's certainly no reason that most minor kerbing can't be repaired - even some damage that most people would probably figure rendered the wheel scrap.

Reply to
Adrian

were

Had my Discovery ones done for around £30 at a local tyre dealer

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson