Alloy wheels / steel wheels

Maybe very routine, but.....

Is it generally possible to do a straight swap from alloy to steel wheels? Or specifically, is it possible to do a straight swap from alloys to steel on a Peugeot 306? Would such a swap count as a 'modification' for insurance purposes?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yes. If your model had alloys as an option, no problem.

Almost certainly.

Most definitely. You must advise them, and your premium might be increased.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I spot the potential for endless fun here. An ins. co will charge you extra if your car has the modification of alloy wheels. They will tell you that this is because - A - the alloys make it more likely to be nicked and result in a claim, and B - because boy racers are more likely to have alloys, and therefore it's more likely to be crashed and result in a claim.

But if you tell them you've changed the wheels for steel ones, the call centre keyboard jockey will put it down as a mod, and the computer will charge more, probably by the same amount as if you'd changed the other way.

I'm wondering what would happen if you wrote to them and asked how much extra they'd charge if you changed to alloys, then said OK, how about that much reduction if I go the other way. Let us know how you get on, won't you?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

But note that the wheelnuts or bolts might be different - on a Merc I had, there was a separate set of shorter bolts for the steel spare.

Though I doubt they would increase for "downgrading" to steels! Not really sure why you'd want to?

Reply to
asahartz
[...]

There is a secondary reason for a premium increase when fitting alloys in place of steel; the risk of damage to suspension and steering is increased in the event of impact to the wheel.

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Shouldn't be a problem, but you would need specific wheel nuts for alloys. An alloy wheel generally sits on the shoulder of the wheel nut, whilst a steel wheel sits in the chamfer and deflects slightly when tightened up.

Dunno, I run a Landrover ... but apart from nuts/studs it shouldn't be a problem. Visit a local toyshop (Halfords, maybe) and ask them what's available and how you'd fit it. You don't _have_ to buy from them ... ;)

Possibly. I've gone to steel wheels (Easier to bend straight when off-roading) but my insco didn't care ... but that may be 'cos it's a Landie ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Reminds me. When house rates were bases on rentable values, a mate aked the council how much he'd have to pay to have a garage at the end of his drive. The council gave him a figure. He then requested they reduce his rates by that amount , as he'd just knocked it down. They did so, but made it quite clear that they thaught they'd been conned. Which they had been of course. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Because the bloody things corrode, pain in the arse when the rims leak air. Then there's the saga with locking wheel nuts, keys going missing, can't get em off because tyre fitters have excessively torqued them. The amount of hassle I've had with alloys, never again. It's not as if you can see them while you're driving anyway!

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Forgot to add, they're a pain to keep clean aswell.

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Yep, I changed from alloys to alloys and got loaded by £50 extra. The first alloys were 15" standard fit, the other were 16" option alloys.

Reply to
johannes

If both were available you should be ok - but you might well need the appropriate bolts/nuts. Steel wheels usually have a taper on the nut face

- alloys square.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steel wheels rust and do the same.

Same with steel. Of course they don't normally have locking nuts. But you don't *have* to have them with alloy either

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, I understand all of the above. I admit I haven't bothered with the locking nuts on mine as they wouldn't fit anything but the same model anyway, and they do help improve ride by reducing the unsprung weight. But above all they just look better.

Though on some of my cars I have retained the original steels anyway, for varied reasons. I just wouldn't intentionallly swap to steel.

Reply to
asahartz

asahartz gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

More likely is that the taper of the seat is different.

Reply to
Adrian

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Rubbish.

Reply to
Adrian

Are you saying that an insurance company would not give that as a reason, or that the risk of damage is not greater?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The latter.

Sure, alloys won't bend in quite the same way as steels - they'll crack or break instead.

Insurance would probably claim that the moon was made of cheese if they thought they could raise a premium off the back of it.

Reply to
Adrian

The amount of force needed to crack or break an alloy will usually be significantly more than that needed to bend a steel wheel though. This is especially the case where a vehicle sliding sideways hits the kerb.

:-)

I've seen a document circulated through the motor insurance industry a number of years ago reminding brokers to ask if aftermarket wheels were fitted. The reason given was that there own research had shown an increase in damage if alloys were fitted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, definitely the length in this case. I split a tyre on a protuding fence post base and after the appropriate swearing (it was only a couple of months old) got the spare out to fit it. The normal bolts just wouldn't tighten - they were too long, After inpecting the handbook I found there was supposed be be a special set for the spare - which were missing from my car. I eventually located some ex-Fiat bolts in my garage that were the right size.

Reply to
asahartz

Less actually. You find that in countries like Spain with s**te roads that alloys are perpetually getting bent whereas steelies seem to do quite well.

Reply to
Conor