Alloys and winter roads

Just got my first car that has alloys - is there anything I need to be aware of, with all the grit and salt on the roads during the winter? Should I wash them off more frequently?

Reply to
Gordon

IF I were you and by asking I assume you care :) - give the alloys a good wash (no detergent such as Fairy as it contains salt), touch up anywhere the surface is damaged and then give them a coat of wax/ polish. This'll make them easy to keep clean

Reply to
Tommy

Get a cheap set of steel wheels for the winter, narrower than the alloys. This will mean in the snow and ice you will have better grip, and the salt and grit wont eat your nice alloys. Then around March time bring out your alloys again.

Reply to
grape

Yes, they might get a bit gritty and salty.

How frequently do you wash them off now?

Reply to
Mark W

I don't - I've only had the car a week!

Reply to
Gordon

If the car is getting older. Get ready for slow air pressure leaks. Unless you have the garage clean the rims and laquer them when replacing the tyres. Although they look ok. Alloys not worth the hassle. Give me steel anyday.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Well you might, but I've never suffered from it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Duncan Wood" saying something like:

Ditto. Nothing wrong with a bit of care and maintenance. I've suffered more from rusty steel wheels than corroded alloys, but either are easy to cure.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon