Almera - no power at high speed

Hi,

96 P Almera 1.4 GX 125K miles This car has been totally reliable for the 7 years I have owned it.until now - when I need rid of it.

The wife and my boys used this car. Recent complaints from them that they thought the exhaust was blowing (I don't think it is) and short of power (it used to have plenty).

I drove it as part of swapping cars around. They are partly right .

It drives perfect around town (flat Cambridge) at 20,30,40,50mph with no apparant shortage of power. Accelerating from stoppped seems OK. But on uphill stretches of motorway, max speed might be 65mph

As you put your foot down in the uphill motorway situation, there seems to be a slight "roaring" of exhaust (seems near the front). With even more right foot, there's a slight "tinny rattle" coming from somewhere up front (maybe exhaust). And little response in terms of power from the car

Here's my thoughts.

  1. Catalytic Converter - any simple tests ?
  2. The exhaust may have a slight leak and that is throwing off the engine management
  3. Compression gone in a cylinder
  4. Engine seems to run even, so I don't think a bad plug.
  5. The clutch seems fine (revs don't shoot up)
  6. Air filter looks OK.

Can anybody suggest some simple tests that may suggest a problem with a cheap fix.

Without a cheap fix, I'm simply going to scrap the car.

Thanks.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Either the cat is partially melted and restricting exhaust flow, or one of the silencers has broken up and is doing the same.

Disconnect the exhaust just after the cat and go for a short drive to establish if it is better. If so replace the exhaust, if not, replace the cat.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim, I tend to agree with your diagnosis - espec given the (possibly front exhaust area) roaring and tinny rattle. Some may be interested in my contribution to above thread "scrap value" Cheers, Terry

Reply to
Terry

If it was mine then I would remove the cat and have a look and a shake, I have seen lots of ford ones where half of the 'monolith' that is the catalytic bit becomes loose in the case, it then turns and blocks the outlet, it also rattles. I have then carefully cut the casing open, removed the broken half and welded it back together, the blockage has been removed, the rattle stopped and in every case it has still passed the mot after 'conversion'

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Range Rover P38's are famous for it,

Reply to
Nige

I would suggest that a compression test would be a good and low cost start to investigations. It may just need a decoke and the valves ground in, for the cost of a bit of time and a head gasket set. While the head is off you can also look at the condition of the cylinder bores.

Derek C

Reply to
Derek C