Alternator fault?

My 1998 Rover 420 has a strange fault - when driving, the ABS light sometimes comes on, the temperature guage reads high (not overheating though) and if the headlights are on, the bulbs blow. If the headlights aren't on and the radio is, this "crashes" and goes silent and requires an ignition on/off before it works again. Oddly no fuses are blowing.

I noticed this happens pretty consistently if I accelerate hard up to high revs (5500 rpm+).

I suspected the alternator, specifically the regulator that's part of it. However the local garage tested the output from the alternator and it was perfectly normal. They admitted they didn't sustain high revs for very long - merely blipped it up there briefly.

Is there anything else it could be? Don't want to fork out for a new alternator if it's something else (wiring fault, ECU etc). Anyone know how much an alternator would be for one of these?

Reply to
John

If you've got a DVM, rig it up to show battery volts while you're driving. A cigar lighter plug is an easy way. If the alternator is being turned hard on you'll see somewhere around 16 volts instead of the correct 14 or so max.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Check very carefully for loose or damaged battery and earth leads.

a rebuilt alternator should be about 50 -75 quid.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Odds are it's a wiring fault, start with the earth straps esp the battery to chassis then the ignition light feed wire.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Duncanwood wrote in news:op.s1oki6ig4wom51@amy:

Should I just check the connections, or is there a proper way of testing the wiring?

Reply to
John

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

That's a good idea. I think I'll have to invest in a multimeter :)

Reply to
John

If it's doing it intermittently then tugging hard & looking for damage or loose connections is most likely to lead to a result.

Reply to
Duncanwood