Alternator Testing?

Can someone advise me on how to test an alternator on a Bedford CF van, some weeks ago the battery light stopped comming on when i started it but now the batterys completely dead and ive brought it in for a recharge, can you also tell me how long i should charge a battery for as its flat i have been checking it on a hydrometer, so far its in the fair section says continue charging its been on 3 days?.

Tim.

Reply to
tim hoad

The warning light is an integral part of the charging circuit on some designs - hence if the bulb is blown you may not get the correct charging voltage from the alternator. So check/replace this first. You need to work out the charging current of the charger (written on the charger) and the capacity of the battery (written on the battery.) If you're trying to charge a dirty great van battery from a weedy little car charger, you may be there a while. However, if your battery is badly sulphated, you will never get a high reading on the hydrometer as much of the acid is permanently combined with the lead plates.

Reply to
Bob Davis
4 amp old winfield charger, yep dirty great van battery the big lorry type like a tractor battery which i think is what it is, its rated at, 95 AH and 365 Amps Cold cranking is 850 Amps.
Reply to
tim hoad

Reply to
Duncan Wood

8 Cell?!?!?!?!?!? 12v Lead acid batteries are 6 cell, if it is 8 Cell it will be 16 volts, and you will never get it to take a charge with a car type battery charger.
Reply to
SimonJ
8 cell 12 volt tractor battery thats what it is

Reply to
tim hoad

That's worrying/interesting - lead acid cells are 2v by their nature, so something's a bit strange here. I'm intrigued - can you tell me what sort (make/code) it is, so I can look it up.

Reply to
Bob Davis

All i can tell you is my friend obtained it from a local farm machinery shop, the outer two caps seem to be a resivoir for the battery as they have no plates in them, it is made by chloride and is AH276 Industrial battery the other specs ive already supplied, hope this helps.

it is blue someone sugested it is a leisure battery for a caravan

Reply to
tim hoad

Thanks - that's a bit clearer. If it doesn't have plates, that doesn't count, it's a six-cell battery. Don't quite understand why it would have 8 caps, I'll see if I can find out. BTW it's not a leisure battery, leisure batteries don't have CCA figures, they are designed for full cycle use i.e. complete discharge/charge at a reasonably slow rate. Vehicle batteries are designed for continual charge, occasional rapid discharge.

Reply to
Bob Davis

When you say 'tractor' battery, are you sure you don't mean 'traction' battery. These are used in milk floats, and golf buggies etc, and are really unsuitable for vehicle use.

Reply to
SimonJ

Could it be a NiFe (Nickel Iron) battery? Uses an alkaline electrolyte (potassium hydroxide) and is 1.2volts/cell. Less likely damaged by deep discharge than Pb/H2SO4 batteries but lower energy density and more expensive, although this is offset by a longer working life. IIRC should also be charged like NiCd's (i.e. at constant current not constant voltage).

Reply to
Ian Edwards