Am I about to be stitched up by a garage?

Hi all,

I'm de-lurking to ask a question as I'm kind of in a sticky pickle and have a feeling its going to get worse...

The story begins with me buying a new (s/h) pug 306XS a few months ago. 70k on the clock and very tidy. The first thing I do is take it to my local Peugeot express guys to get a full service performed and in the book. This it gets through with no worries. Great. Then a month later she starts leaking gearbox oil big time. I take it in to be looked at and the garage reckons the driveshaft seals are wasted and need replacing, so I get them to do this. I'm slightly concerned on paying that the invoice shows no charge for gearbox oil but the assure me that this is a mistake and it has been filled.

Now, a few weeks later I hear a clonking noise from the left driveshaft. It sounds like a CV joint going so I pop in and ask them if that's the case and if its safe to drive as I cant afford to get it fixed on the spot. They reckon it'll just be noisy but safe, so I leave it for a while - but don't bother to do an inspection or test drive.

This weekend I do a 250 mile run fully loaded and on the way home, the gearbox starts whining whenever the clutch is up. Later in the journey it becomes difficult to change gear (feels like the gating is broken) and even the synchromesh feels dodgy with a few screeches. There's also a weird smell that's kind of like butane? I take it immediately to the same garage the next day. After a test drive around they tell me they reckon I need a new 'box as the input bearing is gone. I'm not very happy...

Later that day I take it to a second local garage to get a quote for the same job. After a drive and a ramp inspection they tell me that it looks like the driveshaft wasn't replaced correctly by the garage and the gearbox oil is almost out and maybe not the correct grade. According to them, the dust cap off one end of the drive shaft isn't there. The other end is not fitted correctly, and there's the old seal still loose on the shaft. I'm really starting to worry now. While it was on the ramp, I take the following pictures however.

Ok, so the next day (this morning) I take it to the local main Peugeot dealer. This *happens* to be the parent company of the first "express fit" garage. I ask them to do an inspection on the car. The report on paper states :

LAB Carry Out Ramp Inspection Check Driveshaft Fitted Correctly (See Report) DEF

********** DEFECT REPORT ********** O/S Driveshaft Centre Support Bearing Collar Loose On Shaft O/S Driveshaft Seal Leaking Gearbox Noise Even At Low Speeds Difficult To Engage Some Gears

Asking the woman at reception if it looks like a bodged job, she says definitely. This isn't on paper however :-(

So, armed with this I go back to garage number one and ask them to take a look at the driveshaft, with the report from the main dealer. They (understandably) get a little defensive about their workmanship, and say that it's may be something inside the gearbox unrelated to their driveshaft replacement that's caused the damage, but they're going to be impartial investigating. I'm nervous about this but have left the car with them to look into given that I have some pics and the other report from the main dealer.

Has anyone got any advice on this situation?

- Does it sound likely the problems are due to the bodged seal replacement?

- Is it plausible that it could be something else?

- Are they going to create a problem while investigating to get out of having to fix it all?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to be in this situation, but the thought of having to buy a new gearbox and driveshafts is making me *very* stressed at the moment :-(

Thanks for reading my sad story, and t.i.a. for any advice!

~Pev

P.S. as an aside, A friend of mine had her brakes done (a new cylinder) by the same place and a few weeks later the brakes failed. The garage she then took it to reckon they bodged it causing this. Doesn't bode well...

Reply to
Dave Peverley

Demand it's fixed & if not head for trading standards & your local paper.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I agree with that in theory, but I'm trying to work out *technically* that's a fair thing to do. I intend to do that if its 100% their fault. However if it could genuinely not be their fault then I shouldn't go in guns blazing. As it is I need to give them the benefit of the doubt first wait to see what they have to say after looking into it deeper themselves....

Its harsh - while I don't want to get stuffed by them, I cant risk looking like I'm trying to be unfairly pushy to them if it ends up going to trading standards...

~Pev

Reply to
Dave Peverley

WEll that's fair , it depends on what they say & why it's dead. but it does sound like you've got a reasonable point to start from.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's unlikely that they wouldn't charge for oil if it was used, and it's very likely that running the box without oil would damage it, and the report from your other garage indicates that there was very little oil there. This adds up to circumstantial evidence that the first garage didn't put any in.

I'm not clear whether oil leaked out between the first job and the discovery of the seal bodge. If it didn't, then either there was no oil in it to leak out or the job was not bodged.

Also, I don't see why the failure of the CV joint should be related to lack of g/b oil.

Other than just bad luck, then no.

Job to say.

The whole thing stinks but other than threatening them with exposure in the press I'm not sure that you have any real leg to stand on if push comes to shove. However, one would hope that they would see it your way at least to some extent.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Without looking at the car I cannot be sure but it sounds as if they are liable to some extent at least. Obviously you could have an unrelated fault but it is unlikely.

Speaking as a main dealer myself we are normally happy enough to admit our faults and the garage concerned should be too. Even if it is not their fault they should be happy to get involved and sort things out for you.

What level person have you discussed it with so far?

I would write to the managing director giving more or less exactly the same detail as your posting. Be honest and ask to discuss it with him personally.

He may pass you on to the service manager but he should stay involved.

The above should work but you can take it further if it doesn't. Whatever you do, do not take it elsewhere to be fixed first.I would also recommend you do not talk to Trading Standards first.

Finally, do not go to the local paper. This will wind up the garage and make them not want to help and anyway, the garage probably spends a fortune with the paper so the paper is unlikely to want to upset them with unproven allegations.

Reply to
Alan
2nd those thoughts - make yourself seem reasonable - tell manager that you are not going to paper/trading standards first like other folks do. say that you are giving him the chance to sort it out., Give copies of all paper evidence and copies of photos plus your written account and a time limit... one day or so to get a decision, not weeks. good luck. Keep notes on any phone conversations and ask for confirmation in writing - esp. if it is good news that they might forget later on.
Reply to
Mad Sad Dad

"Dave Peverley" wrote in news:bpd735$u26$ snipped-for-privacy@burton.mpc-data.co.uk:

I have a similar story. Vehicle returned to me with no oil in the gearbox. Garage sent a mechanic out to see me straight away. I watched as he removed the gear box sump plug. No oil. Mechanic later swore there was oil in it! (Moral: Next time I use the camcorder).

The garage initially disclaimed all liability. My reaction was to be reasonable. I told them that I understood that mistakes do happen. My vehicle was not new so I did not demand a new gearbox. But I DID demand a replacement of similar age to the one that was wrecked. Garage was not inclined to be helpful.

OK, I said, I'll go to court and we will see if your mechanics want to follow Lord Archer into prison. The garage decided to compromise and fitted a second hand gear box as I'd suggested free of charge. Faces saved all round.

I am not exactly happy about my experiences but when my next vehicle was involved in an accident and the insurers wanted to put it with the same garage I was able to emphatically refuse to allow them to do it -- and I told them why. Hopefully the garage will lose more business as a result.

Reply to
Derry Argue