Am I insured if my car is a write off

I purchased a car back in September last year and I have just come to sell it to a car dealer and found out that my car has previoulsy been a write off.

Am i still insured.

Reply to
manda0311bates

What category of write off?

Only your insurer can answer that with any degree of certainty.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

All a 'write off' means is that it's uneconomical to repair. So varies according to the value of a car. On a cheap one it could be a minor dent with no safety implications.

A rare and valuable car might be worth repairing even after serious damage.

But the industry has various categories of that term - do a Goggle for them.

Depending on the category it might have had to be inspected before being put back on the road. And if it wasn't the insurance would be iffy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. My wife's MK1 Ashtray was written off when an old fogey pulled=20 out from parking and hit her as she drove past. Slight dent on the rear=20 arch and it was a write off. Took all of =A310 of filler and rattle can=20 to fix it but a proper bodyshop job would have been =A3100's which was=20 more than the car was worth. Fortunately the insurance company weren't=20 interested in getting it from her and allowed her to keep it for free=20 as well as getting a payout from the pensioners insurers.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Presumably if she is already insured then the insco know about the car and will have the history. They'll know that the car was a write off and have deigned to insure it.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

It could also have been stolen/recovered but as the insewerance had paid out, its still logged on the system as a total loss (write off). but the car in question has no damage at all! (well visible)

LL

loopy livernose

Assuming the car is roadworthy and MOTd (if applicable), then yes, why not?

Reply to
Chris Bartram