Annoying car auctions end early, is this allowed?

Frequently on ebay car auctions it says "advertised elsewhere I have the right to withdraw auction" etc.

Is this allowed? It doesnt seem fair if they can just end the auction early for whatever reason they like. Like its not making a good price etc. Instead of setting a reserve they just end it early.

You could of traveled a few hours each way to view a car, and in the end you find the auction has been ended for whatever reason.

Surely rules should be tightened to not allow this?

Reply to
Jack Raymond

Jack Raymond () gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

uk.people.consumers.ebay is that way...---->

But why would you travel "a few hours each way" to view a car without talking to the vendor first?

Reply to
Adrian

Why travel before winning? If you do and you like it arrange a price before travelling and pull the auction. Otherwise take the description at its word - if the car turns out not "as described" you do not have to complete the transaction.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Quite.

That's some impressive sat nav he's got.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Yes I posted to the wrong group by accident.You can talk to the vendor first but they sometimes still withdraw it. I think they should let the auction go the full pace or dont bother at all. Not really fair to advertise it on ebay and autotrader at same time, and then when somebody buys it via autotrader they withdraw it.

Reply to
Jack Raymond

Err what's unfair about it, it says it in the description.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Fair?

They've paid for the privilege of advertising on both... up to them what they do with their own property within reason as well.

If you see something you really want, make enquiries with the seller as to how much it is advertised away from ebay for next time, rather than moaning in here.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Absolutely. Like the fellow up the road from me with a BMW 7 series on eBay with a Buy-it-now price of 1200 quid and a notice in its window saying 450 ovno. I only hope that if anyone uses the b-i-n option, he has the decency to hide paper notice.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

*Bingo*

Problem with ebay is everyone wants a crazy bargain, but not many people are actually willing to place sensible bids. Bids where they're getting what they want for less than they'll pay elsewhere. If something is getting close to Auto Trader money people stop bidding unless the item offered is spectacularly rare or sought after.

Otherwise it's beginning to be a waste of time. People who won't bid sensible money, people who complain when the auction is stopped due to everyone waiting to do the "bid in the last nanosecond" stunt. "Oooh, it's on 25p, it's worth £2000. I'll wait until the last minute to throw in a £1500 bid, Oh the bastards have withdrawn it because no-one bid"

Reply to
Pete M