Another problem with Vectra 2 litre diesel 2004

Driving home yesterday, had travelled about 30 miles so engine properly warm.

I accelerate away from a roundabout, along a dual carriageway, and try to pass a slower vehicle.

Sudden loss of power, and after a couple of seconds the service warning light comes on.

Continue to drive home, noting that engine won't spin faster than about

2,000 rpm. At under 2,000 rpm performance is more-or-less normal.

I think engine is more noisy. Normally it is noisy when cold and on load - if it were a petrol engine I would describe it as pinking. But now it makes that noise on load all the time, and louder.

Most recent service was last November, has done maybe 5,000 miles since. Service light usually shows for several seconds after starting - I imagine this is normal. I have also seen it on two other occasions where it came mid-journey on for no apparent reason - but after stopping and re-starting it didn't come back on. Not aware that this affected performance at the time - but this was slow town driving so I might not have been aware of a revs limit.

I can't get it booked into my usual garage for any sort of faultfinding today - so is it likely to be safe to drive?

Any guesses as to the problem?

Vehicle is relatively low mileage - about 75,000 - of which 20,000 are mine in the last 15 months.

Reply to
Graham J

The car has gone into limp home mode as a fault has been detected. Getting the codes read may show exactly what the fault is, or may give a clue only. When my sister's car did exactly the same thing it threw up several errors, all of which were caused by a vacuum leak (the vacuum circuit operates a lot of things on that model) The root cause was a crack in the plastic of the inlet swirl actuator thing. Fault finding was using a vacuum gauge and working from where the vacuum was high and connecting bits outwards till the leak was shown.

It would be worth having a good look around at all the vacuum pipes and their connectors as they are known to break up with age too.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

oh yes, on another occasion, same car, it was caused by the crank sensor, which is cheap and easy to change.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I had the same thing happen to my petrol Cavalier several years ago, trying to accelerate out of a roundabout. It turned out to be an internal collapse of the rear exhaust box, effectively blocking the system and holding the revs down. No service light though, as it didn't have such gadgetry.

This might have nothing to do with your problem, of course.

Reply to
Ramsman

Mrcheerful wrote: [snip]

Today, no service light (the one with the spanner) but engine fault light on. Engine runs normally.

At garage, tester shows possible faults with barometric pressure sensor, and mass airflow sensor. Cleared light. Suggested bring car back when light next shows.

Drove away - ran normally for 100 yards, then spanner light, so returned to garage. Tester shows pressure sensor fault.

Evidently there are three different types, don't know which to use from reg number, so all three are on order. Will take it in on Wednesday to see which one works ...

Reply to
Graham J

I had exactly the same problem on an old "J" reg Cavalier. In my case some clown of a previous owner had fitted the cheaper petrol rear exhaust box. This eventually (approx 1 year) clogged up causing a severe loss of power. I found out while trying to hurry home on the A14 - 30 mph flat out by the time I had covered 230 miles! Dave

Reply to
snot