another question about cruise control

My friend's new Audi A6 estate's cruise control *doesn't* automatically disengage when he changes down a gear (manual gearbox). If the down change is done slowly it will disengage but not normally.

Is this normal? Is this safe? Never come across this kind of behaviour In a CC myself before.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

My wife's Skoda Yeti TDi disengages CC when the clutch or brake are pushed and obviously this car shares components with the A6. Don't know about VW as my Touran has a DSG box.

Reply to
Doctor D

In message , Tim writes

Don't know about the Audi, the Mondeo disengages as soon as I touch brake or clutch, (or use the steering wheel button of course).

Reply to
Gordon H

Even with the DSG, the CC disengages instantly if you slip the car into neutral.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It should disengage as the clutch/brake is depressed, I'd think. Every VAG car I've had with CC has.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've never come across CC that doesn't disengage when the clutch or brake are depressed.

When the down changes are not being made slowly, is the clutch pedal perhaps not being fully depressed? If fully depressing the pedal drops the CC out, but partially depressing it doesn't, perhaps the clutch pedal switch needs adjusting or replacing?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

september.org...

My 1 series BMW does the same - bit disconcerting when first experienced

Reply to
cupra

In message , cupra writes

Vorsprungtecknich. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

That would seem to fit with it not being a fault but rather, a "feature". Personally it's one I wouldn't want. Might be reasonable to have it if it were a selectable feature rather than a fixed one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I could look up the notes and faults but.

Reply to
Rob

It may do, but I've never tried that on the move. I will try when switching from D to S though.

Reply to
Doctor D

Well, as far as VW Tourans are concerned, it *does* do it, not "may".

No particular reason why it should kick out when going into sport mode (and it doesn't on the VW) but there's very little reason to carry out that particular action whilst under cruise control. Slipping it into neutral to freewheel is something you might choose to do though and in those circumstances clearly you wouldn't want or expect the CC to try and maintain vehicle speed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I'm struggling to think of an occasion when I would want to change down a gear with cruise engaged. If preparing to slow down I wouldn't be changing gear anyway and if preparing to speed up I'd probably just use multiple +5mph clicks on the cruise stalk. If preparing for a more aggressive move, I'd disable the cruise using the stalk first.

Reply to
Zathras

Not driven a manual 6 cylinder BMW then? On mine, during cruise restore, it even matches the revs for the next gear up when the clutch is depressed. Quite nice really. It doesn't match revs on the way down the box though. :-(

Reply to
Zathras

My auto BMW will change down on a steep hill to maintain the set speed. But it does have a very tall top gear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ooops. I'd forgotten about that. Spoilt by the torque in my 3 litre diesel BMW, it's not something I've ever had to do.

I'm also forgetting about switching on headlights, wipers and, to a significant extent even, the engine. I know I'm unusual for even having a manual box in these lazy days..

Reply to
Zathras

On the six cylinder BMW diesels of the era of yours, you have cruise control with brake function. Going down a steep hill with cruise enabled, the car will 'brake' itself if the speed increases an amount above the set point. How much above the set point the speed has reaches before the car brakes, I'm not sure as I cannot see the brake lights come on from the driver's seat....

David

Reply to
David

It would probably benefit from a taller top gear if it will climb any hill in that gear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's more, I suspect, to do with where you drive than the torque of the

3.0 diseasel. I've driven cars with more torque than yours around the UK. There are motorway sections where the box will drop a gear to maintain the set speed.

Not really, not yet.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On the motorway from Basel to St Gotthard every auto car that I have owned will change down one or two cogs until reaching the tunnel. It's best, once the uphill section starts, to lock out overdrive to avoid frantic cycling between overdrive and fourth/fifth.

I've always hated cruise control + manual. It really sucks.

Reply to
Steve Firth