Antifreeze levels

My MGF had a suspected head gaskit failiure on Xmas Day. On the hardshoulder I added 4 lts of tap water to the coolent which brought the level back to normal and started the engine for 30 seconds, but I eventually decide to tow it to a garage rather than drive it.

Being Xmas, the garage wont open util Wednesday at the earliest and we have had a couple of frosty mornings and I was wondering if the 4 lts of tap water would have diluted the antifreeze enough to cause problems?

...ie will the coolent freeze and wreck the engine? (if the HGF hasnt already done that!) Thanks for any help

David Bevan

junk1

Possibly, though it's unlikely as you do have some anti-freeze (hopefully) still in the system, and whilst it may reach freezing point outside overnight, that isn't usually low enough to freeze an engine. Having said that, I'd drain the coolant anyway as it'll need to be done before they remove the head.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis