Anyone had a whistling exhaust?

Hi All,

A few months ago I fitted a new rear box to the old Rover 218SD (Non Turbo) and I *think* it was fine to start with.

Then at some point it started to whistle, quite loud (easily heard over the engine with the windows closed and the radio on!) and at it's worst at about 2.75krpm? The noise was just like a std blown whistle and was definitely emanating from the tailpipe.

I checked the tailpipe for 'foreign objects' (a firework tube fell out of kit car exhaust when I first started it, shows you when I last ran it up!) but it was clear, right back up into the rear box.

I couldn't find the receipt so have bought and fitted another one today (no whistle ") and the spares place will return the rear box to the supplier for 'investigation' and hopefully (I'm not holding my breath but we are only talking 20 quid here).

Anyone had a similar experience and any idea what caused it?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's not sealed properly at the joints! Take it apart and do it correctly.

Reply to
Bob

T i m wrote in news:57o4331r42nbuehknt40cedj4nj6osi7k3@

4ax.com:

It's part of a plot to smuggle in cheap referees

Reply to
Tunku

Well, I checked for that (in fact the two of us did) whilst it was up on my mates 4-poster and there was no sucking / blowing at any the joints and the noise was definitely coming from the end of the tailpipe.

Well I fitted the new one in exactly the same way as I did the last one (and every other exhaust I have fitted over the years, or had to re-fit 'properly' after it had been fitted elsewhere) and although I know it's very early days for the new one, the old whistling one hadn't moved, and the joint was still neat, tight and straight etc?

To fit the new one I removed the old one (I did! ), checked the mating face of the new rear box (no dings or dents etc), wire brushed the making face of the old pipe and checked it was ok. T then applied a smear of exhaust paste around both joint faces, offered the rear box onto it's mounts and then brought the joint together. Whilst keeping the joint straight / together, I brought the flanges together, nipped the bolts up evenly (so the joint faces stayed 'square') then tightened them to 'just right' (and my mate checked them as 'fine').

What did I do wrong?

I'm not saying there is no way you could right Bob, just I would be very surprised considering etc?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I fitted the stainless exhaust on the kitcar 15 years ago and that's still fine ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Ah, now that makes more sense! (I though the old box felt much heavier than the new one). ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ignore Bob, he's a know-nothing f****it.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

I'll take your word for that Steve .. I'm new round these parts. ;-)

And he 'could' have had a point, had I not done the job properly?

I was trying to think if something like an Air-Bomb / firework (kids) might have damaged the insides of the exhaust box last November somehow and it only recently showed it's self .. or some debris stuck in there somehow. I guess if the supplier opens it up I'll find out.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's OK. Even regulars get caught out the odd time.

There are a handful of morphing individuals who like to declare themselves experts on everything.

The last one was some kind of f****it telling everyone to buy cheap shit tyres - mainly because he was a back-street tyre dealer with an interest in flogging shit.

Reply to
SteveH