Anyone remember tapered brake pads?

I mentioned these to someone today, but everyone looked blankly at me. I remember them from sonething odd a long time ago, was it on Rover P6? or Zodiac mk 4? Something from that era had tapered pads as standard and it is now bugging me as to what it was. I imagine that it must have been something with a hinged caliper rather than the parallel slidey type we have today?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Later Rover P6 with the Girling swing caliper rear brakes. Also used on the Mk4 Zodiac, etc as you said.

The pad material started out tapered as regards to the steel backing, and gradually wore down 'till it was parallel. As the caliper pivoted rather than slid as is common now.

Excellent handbrake on those - quite the best I've had on any car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ahh, so it was BOTH of the ones I thought of. Thanks Dave. I'll have to hunt down some pictures to show him.

Reply to
Mrcheerful