Anyone UN-SORN'd a car?

I'm considering sorning my car but I've been told that I may be charged for relicensing it (other than the normal tax cost!) if I do it before the 12 month SORN period is up- anyone any experience?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Yes, I have often done this, there is no surcharge (at least not so far !!)

The best one to make the post office raise their eyebrows is to tax a car that already has a valid tax disc. (this can happen when you want to move the date of annual renewal away from Christmas (for instance), choose the month that is convenient, near the end of that month send the old tax for a refund and buy another tax the same day)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

You pay the cost of the tax disc you buy. The only additional "cost" may be due to the fact that you "lose" days off the tax disc if you buy later in the month.

As an example I sometimes SORN my car if it is off the road for the first week or two after the tax expires. I then buy another tax disc when I need to use the car. I don't save any money, it doesn't cost any money (it just helps the cashflow.), the tax disc is still valid from the 1st, even though I bought it on the 15th.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

John Kenyon mumbled incoherently to the rest of uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

My situation is possibly buying a cheap runaround while sorning my baby to give me a few months to get it back in a usable state. Its either that or rush it back together in a weekend and save the extra work for another year!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Coyoteboy ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes. That's crap.

You can tax it the day after you SORN it with no penalty if you so wish.

Reply to
Adrian

Coyoteboy ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You don't need to SORN children. Not even Gordon's tried to tax breeding yet.

Reply to
Adrian