are grooved brake drums bettter?

If I replace my standard rear brake drums on my Capri 280 with grooved ones, should I expect any noticeable improvement in braking performance? There are disks at the front, obviously,

Many thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Jaap

In news: snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Jaap decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

They'll work better in extremes. Be noisier though.

Discs are the way forward...

Reply to
Pete M

TBH I can't ever remember the rear drums being an issue under any amount of aggro, four pots on the front improved things a lot though.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Rears don't do that much, even the XR4i had rear drums...

Having said that my 1970 Saab 99 had rear discs (and nice big front ones) - not exactly a performance car!

Reply to
chris

xr4x4 has discs though, a disc conversion just by slapping on escort calipers on the back for road use is not as easy as for competition. The problem is you need the cable handbrake, so you need calipers off a road car, which are usually seized/useless when secondhand. For the op, you would get more benefit from a brake balance adjuster than grooved drums IMO As standard the brakes are set so that the rears cannot be made to lock up before the fronts under even severe braking, so with some more rear pressure you can make it stop better. you do need to turn the rears down a bit when it is wet though.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

And here's me thinking they were the way to retard :0)

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

In news:RmCqd.34$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, @ mail.com"