Are Japanese part cheaper these days?

SOmeone recently told emt hat the price of parts for Japanese cars was not as bad as they used to be 15 or 20 years ago.

Is that true?

If so then has there been something to cause this change?

Reply to
David

A little bit, but still not that cheap compared with other brands.

More competition from aftermarket suppliers, and an incentive to make jap cars more appealing to buisnesses due to lower cost of servicing.

Reply to
moray

Combined with a lot of "Jap" stuff being made in the EU so less shipping involved.

Reply to
Depresion

Not with Mazda bits! I cannot see how they justify their parts prices! Just got a quote from Mazda for an exhaust front pipe £500 and an engine vacuum pump £850. Stupid prices! and I believe they charge something like £100 per hour labour charges

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Personally imported by the mechanic who does the work :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Not a car but a Suzuki bike. In 1987 the electronic ignition packed up and I was quoted 450 notes for a replacement by Suzuki (probably around 1200 notes in 2007 money). Shopping around I got a new UK made one for 40 quid. I'll be suprised if anything's changed.

Reply to
Robert E Lee

RX-8 cat is £1000 fitted at a Mazda main dealer and they can fail their first MOT so owners be wary and get it checked before the warranty runs out.

Nissan parts have never been what I would call expensive unless it's something that no one has ordered in 10yrs. That also applies to Ford now, a friend just enquired about a 2001 Mondeo front door frame rubber seal (only one part of the frame seal) as it was letting a lot of rain water in, price was £211 so guess what, he didn't buy one and bodged it. A complete top link for my Nissan Primera was about £100 and that's a fair size chunk of metal.

Reply to
Steve B