are the current fiestas galvanized?

are the current fiestas bodies galvanized? the entire body & bonnet/ doors?

how long have ford been galvanising?

thanks

Reply to
fordi2003

( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not nearly long enough.

In the last week or three I've seen Mk 2 Mondeos and Galaxies with the rear arches falling off.

Reply to
Adrian

Apparently the MkI Focus has some significant weak-spots, too.

Reply to
SteveH

Only where the rear screen rubbed on the paintwork, oh and possibly some cases of the wing mirror doing the same.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Well, that's perfectly acceptable, then.

Reply to
SteveH

I didn't say it was acceptable but if you abrade any galvanised surface and damage the coating, you will get corrosion. The problems only affected some Mk1 Foci (my 99 Focus isn't affected) and I certainly wouldn't say the Focus has "significant weak spots" in relation to corrosion.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I live a couple of miles from the sea ans although I notice things rusting that I thought never rusted (such as grills over heating vents and circular washing lines) have not seen a rusty ford for years

Reply to
Tommy

We were recently looking for a small car for our girls to wreck. I was tempted by the Ka for it's mechanical simplicity and reliability but was put off by the amount of rusty ones I saw. Mostly talking about 5+ year old ones so they may be better now.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

They're not.

The replacement 'MkII' Ka is being built at the Fiat factory in Poland, so will be significantly better protected.

Reply to
SteveH

my 2005 haynes says "bonnet,doors and other vulnerable panels are made of zinc coated metal". but i cant find this in any ford literature for the current fiesta model.

surely if they go to the trouble and expense to galvanize they would advertise this feature in their fiesta brochure??

Reply to
fordi2003

The 2005 and current Fiestas are the same car, so you'd have to assume they have the same level of protection.

Reply to
SteveH

Would you have to assume the Haynes was right, though?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

but which body parts are left out? those would need additional (wax) protection.

thats what i am trying to find out.

Reply to
fordi2003

Probably not. If they did that, potential owners would find out that they only bother to galvanise the visible body panels, and not the ciritcal bits like the underside of the floor (which is why the bottom of transits rot out at about 8yo)

Reply to
moray

is there any way of telling what is treated?like by using a magnet?

Reply to
fordi2003