Astra 1.4

Hello Folks,

I am planning to buy a 1998 Opel/Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Estate. I will be taking it for a test drive tomorrow. Are there any common faults with this model? Is this a reasonably good car?

Many Thanks.

E.S.

Reply to
Eamon Skelton

For what its worth I had one for 3 years for my daily 20 mile round trip commute and in that time.

Rear Hub Bearing - replaced as noisy Idling Uneven - replaced HT leads Front Brakes - clunking sound when reversing - my fault I put the retaining springs on wrong!

Otherwise fine, comfortable and reliable

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Look for oil leaks from the steering assembly (underneath) - sure sign of failure, £400 parts + £200 labour

Also excessive whining - crying noise from under bonnet when all windows closed etc, sounding strained even when stationery (pump on steering)

Mine has 40k (these fixed under warranty). The only way I know the engine is running when stationary is by looking at the revcounter - its really that quiet.

At this mileage is quiet, comfy and nippy (mine is 1.6 8v perhaps 1.4 might be similar). Goes round corners like a sports car (almost) - no wallowing etc. even with 4 people on board.

CHECK THE CAMBELT HAS BEEN CHANGED AT RECOMMENDED MILEAGE (40k) - and the idlers etc. Some people say the water pump as well.

Look for oil changes in between services - 20k is far too long.

Check the back - if boot trim/carpet and back of seats are not pristine, might have been used for heavy/mucky stuff, as opposed to privately owned.

Also make sure aircon if fitted is working, and no misfires.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Just the sort of info I was looking for. Many Thanks.

E.S.

Reply to
Eamon Skelton

Thanks Ian,

They are sold with Opel badges here in Ireland. They enjoy a pretty good reputation for reliability. I will give it a test drive in the morning and if it drives as well as it looks, I will probably buy it.

Regards, E.S.

Reply to
Eamon Skelton