astra 1.6 8v thermostat

hi just had cambelt and thermostat replaced on astra 1.6 8v 2003 model and noticed the rocker box has been removed and gasket goo seeping out everywhere (always a nice touch with rounded bolt heads now) does the rockerbox have to come off i know the thermostat is hard to get to on this model. many thanks alec

Reply to
atc

removing the rocker (cam) box means the head bolts have been undone, bad news as the head gasket will leak now or soon, or has that been changed too?.

the thermostat is behind the cambelt, it would not be normal to remove the cam box or cover.

The rocker box does not have a gasket, you do use a special sealer, but there should only be the barest trace visible, if at all, the top cover has a cork or rubber gasket. The bolts only need nipping up, if they are rounded they have done something seriously wrong.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

the bolts look new but it was the tool marks on other nuts that caught my attention. could something have gone wrong in timing it up that required getting to camshaft? it was done under warranty as they said it was running cool,not that i had noticed! i only took it in as a code for missing on cylinder 2 had come up on scan and was expecting a new coil pack or plugs as a starting point!

Reply to
atc

the bolts look new but it was the tool marks on other nuts that caught my attention. could something have gone wrong in timing it up that required getting to camshaft? it was done under warranty as they said it was running cool,not that i had noticed! i only took it in as a code for missing on cylinder 2 had come up on scan and was expecting a new coil pack or plugs as a starting point!

if mistimed it might have bent a valve or two, but more likely the head gasket had gone and has been changed.

Go and ask would be a good start.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

.

would the bolts that go through the rocker box hold the head down also and are they pre stretched and need replacing every time? it might just be the engine was cleaned and a previous repair is now showing, will ask them tomorrow but would have thought they would have been happy to charge me for work not keep it quiet unless the trainee undid anything he could reach!

Reply to
atc

would the bolts that go through the rocker box hold the head down also and are they pre stretched and need replacing every time? it might just be the engine was cleaned and a previous repair is now showing, will ask them tomorrow but would have thought they would have been happy to charge me for work not keep it quiet unless the trainee undid anything he could reach!

The head bolts are stretch bolts and should be renewed if the head comes off. My bet is that someone cocked up, a valve got bent and the engine had to come apart. They accept it was their fault and have just gone ahead and fixed it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

.

hi the plot thickens! phoned up and they said rocker gasket was leaking and asked mechanic if head gasket changed and he said yes,now ive noticed the spray paint, black over silver!, hiding the weld on end of rocker box where plastic cambelt cover attaches.I wonder if it got broken by using something to lock engine as cambelt was changed? makes me worry something as simple as an astra 8valve could go wrong in the hands of a large dealer with a good reputation,not main dealer but a big concern. whats a torque wrench i hear them say!

Reply to
atc

If it is the actualy cam cover that has broken they are flimsy as hell, on the same engine i broke mine just by knocking it off the top of the engine whilst having the belt off changing the stat, which is in a stupid place anyway, and will be changed everytime i do the belt in future.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

hi the plot thickens! phoned up and they said rocker gasket was leaking and asked mechanic if head gasket changed and he said yes,now ive noticed the spray paint, black over silver!, hiding the weld on end of rocker box where plastic cambelt cover attaches.I wonder if it got broken by using something to lock engine as cambelt was changed? makes me worry something as simple as an astra 8valve could go wrong in the hands of a large dealer with a good reputation,not main dealer but a big concern. whats a torque wrench i hear them say!

Hopefully the garage will own up and tell you what they have done. Write a letter and make it formal if the workshop are skirting the issue. Mistakes happen, but damage requiring a weld should be told to you and not left for you to scratch at the surface and worry. You left a car in for a simple cam belt and thermostat so it is in their interests to keep you informed, even if they foot the bill for the mistakes.

Gio

Reply to
Gio