Astra 1.7td 2003 alternator belt

Hi

My alternator has gone recently on Astra 1.7td 2003 Isuzu and I was surprised to find that also the power steering goes at the same time! Anyway changing the alternator hasn't been a problem but I wondered if someone knows how to remove and replace the alternator belt?

I removed the belt by taking off the pulley at the top that drives the coolant pump. That was after I ran into some trouble trying to work out how the adjusting wheel works.... at least I assume it is responsible for the belt's tightness?? I undid the 17mm bolt on this adjusting wheel that is situated in the middle of the whole arrangement. As soon as this came loose the adjusting wheel came out a bit and I could see what looked like a spring arrangement. It is then that I decided to take the top pulley off instead.

After putting the bolt back into the adjusting wheel but without fully tightening it, it seems to have only a small amount of movement perhaps 5mm either way so I do not understand how this tensioner works.....? Or have I not put the adjusting wheel back in correctly as it seems to have no spring atall????

So I would be grateful if someone would tell me how the belt can be tightened or is it just done by the usual method - by levering the alternator away and tightening the top alternator bolt. Is there a special tool?

I hope this makes sense and thanks very much for any replies.

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue

Hi no worries I've sorted it. I didn't know that the adjuster wheel needs to be levered away and there is a point where it can be locked in position- I used a split pin. Didn't know the tech term of serpentine belt either. Cheers

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue