ASTRA DRIVESHAFT REMOVAL ------ PLEASE HELP ME !

Trying to remove the driveshaft from an F16 Gearbox on a 92 cavalier. Not got a haynes manual for the car unfortunately and reluctant to buy one as it doesn't cover the isuzu diesel engine.

I've undone the lower ball joints and have the suspension struts hanging. On the offside (drivers) there is a bolted plate around the shaft where the shaft enters the gearbox which I've undone ? CORRECT ? ?

On the passenger side there is some kind of threaded ring. do I need to undo this too ?

Or do the shafts just pull out without any fiddling to the gearbox other than emptying the oil ???

If anyone can give an answer I'de be extemely gratefull.....

Please

Reply to
Gary

the shafts just come out, but there is a springy circlip on the very end. you need a lever to get them to come out, the book says 'rh shaft needs a flat steel bar with a chamfer on the end' 'the lh is more difficult and needs a sq steel bar (see illustration)', which looks as though it is used from above

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Your header mentions Astra but the text refers to a Cavalier. I only have experience of my '95 Astra. I recently had the drive shafts out.

Nothing on the gearbox needed to be undone, no bolts, plates or rings. If you don't start by letting the oil out the gearbox much of it will come out when the shaft is released -probably up your arm.

The shafts are retained in the gearbox only by a snap ring on the inner end of the shaft. To overcome the snap ring a sharp blow is needed. I worked from under the car with it fairly high up on axle stands under the cross member at the rear of the engine.

On the driver side it was possible to use the 'Haynes' method of placing a cold chisel on the solid metal part (not the flimsy cover) of the drive shaft adjacent to the gearbox and knocking the shaft free by a single sharp blow with a large rubber headed hammer.

On the passenger side there was insufficient access and I used a pair of tyre levers wedged against the solid ridge on the inner end of the shaft and the pair of solid looking lands (at about 5 and 7 o'clock positions) on the gearbox cover. Pulling on the levers had no effect at all, but a sharp tug and it was free.

New snap rings should be fitted to the inner ends of the shaft before refitting, they cost 27p each at the main dealer.

Note that the gearbox oil is separate to the engine oil. There is no sump drain facility, the gearbox sump cover has to be removed to release the oil, so be ready with a large tray to catch it. Whether you will loose more oil by letting it come out the shaft holes or by removing the sump is debatable.

The oil in the gearbox is red, it is special stuff and should not be allowed to get on your skin or into the ground - wear disposable gloves. For my Astra ('96) it is 'Transmission oil, part number 9120541', expensive at 9.30 a 1 litre bottle. I needed two bottles, as it took about one and a half to refill. I think it is worthwhile changing the oil even at this price.

Unscrew the plug from the gearbox overflow hole that can be found on the side of the gearbox case just to the right and slightly above the drive shaft (looking from the passenger side wheel arch). The plug contains a magnet and on mine was in need of a good cleanout. Leave the plug out and refill to box through the air breather (removed) on the top on the gear change cover. When the oil overflows from the hole, there is enough in it.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R