Astra fast idle when cold

I have a year 2000 Astra 1.6 16v Club, which has fuel injection. Although when starting from cold it will usually settle straight down to its normal idling speed of 800+rpm, quite often the idling speed will instead be quite high, about 1700rpm. If left to its own devices, the fast idle will settle back to about 800 after a couple of minutes, but I can (and usually do) stop it straightaway with a fairly heavy blip of the throttle, though I don't like doing this when the engine is cold and the oil hasn't started to circulate properly. But I don't like the fast idle either for the same reason. Perhaps I'm being too fussy...

It's been to the Vauxhall dealer and all they do is shrug their shoulders and tell me "the software is the latest version". Surely the EMU must control something mechanical, so could it be something there that isn't always working as it should?

Has anyone else had this 'problem'?

Reply to
Andy Clews

It's both engine load and speed - light load at this sort of engine speed is fine. Heavy load at 1,500 rpm is probably as damaging as heavy load at

6,500 rpm...

It's quite normal for this behaviour, although 1,700 rpm does seem a little high. Modern engines have all sorts of funkiness designed to reduce the harmful emissions, although to be fair quite often they result in poorer fuel consumption... which seems a bit backwards.

Reply to
DervMan

I think you've isolated the problem there. Instead of having the mixture settings etc., controlled by an EMU, have them controlled by an OSTRICH :-)

YKIMS.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It sound like my idle control valve problem. Mine would idle at different speeds all the time, and tapping the accelerator would cause it to settle at a different speed.

If it only does it when it is cold, it may be something normal, like the ECU putting more fuel in, like a choke would on a carburetor engine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Thus spake AstraVanMan unto the assembled multitudes:

Great idea, except that the bloody thing has its head stuck in the sand most of the time. Worse than useless if you ask me :-)

Reply to
Andy Clews

Thus spake DervMan unto the assembled multitudes:

It happened again yesterday but it was more like about 1500rpm. Can vary a bit.

Thanks for the reassuring remarks anyway. I guess I'll just learn to live with it. It's just odd that it doesn't always happen, though. Some mornings it'll start and immediately settle down to a nice gentle 800rpm idle.

Reply to
Andy Clews