astra gearbox problem

Hi,

I've got a 1999 astra 2.0 sri 16V which has an odd gearbox problem. When the engine is cold, it's very hard to change gears; I have to force it into gear. There's no crunching sound from any gear so I assume the syncromesh etc is working. Once the engine is at normal running temperature, the problem disappears and I can change gears normally. Even when the engine is cold, I can easily change gears when the engine isn't running but as soon as I start the engine, the gearbox starts acting up.

The clutch pedal lies slightly below the brake pedal as if it needed the cable adjusted (I'm assuming the pedal should be slightly above the brake pedal) but this model doesn't have a cable - it's all hydraulic. The fluid level is normal - the clutch and brakes share the fluid reservoir so I would have thought a problem here would affect the brakes as well.

I've no intention of tackling gearbox problems myself but any ideas about the problem would be welcome before I go to a dealer. I don't want the dealer telling me to replace the gearbox when it's maybe a fairly simple problem!

Reply to
wesd

The wrong grade of oil in a gearbox has been known to cause this problem. Early range rovers were very prone to it apparently.

Failing that, the pedal being low suggests the clutch cover is getting weak.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat