Astra noisy with lack of power

My son's Astra came to a stop on the motorway with a lack of power, no other symptoms. On being relayed home the RAC comment was "sounds like yer camshaft" after some investigation I checked the cambelt, it is intact, the camshaft turns and seems fine.The engine does start but with a noise like one or more tappets very loose. Any suggestions? The RAC also commented that the oil level was low. The engine is 1.6 Ltr 8 valve type X16 szr.

Reply to
airborne1

It may be that low oil pressure has allowed a tappet to collapse. it may recover with some fresh oil.

Reply to
mrcheerful