Astra possible airbag/seat belt problem

I currently own an S reg (98 I think) Astra 1.4 16v. Recently a red light on the dashboard has lit up and now is on constantly. The user manual reads that the light indicates either a seat belt tensioning problem or an air bag problem. I have vigorously tested the seat belts which lock at the appropriate tension e.t.c so I can only presume it must be the airbag. As far as I can tell I think there is only one air bag in the steering wheel.

I really don't want to take it into a vauxhall dealer who is probably gonna charge me a fortune for reconnecting a switch or sensor or unsticking something or other. So does anyone have any tips as to what I might do to track down the source of the problem? Does anyone have any experience with diagnosing what ever make this light come on?

Thanks for any advice

Sie

Reply to
Sie

I think seat belt tensioning is a mechanism for adjusting the tension in case if impact, rather than the static test you've just applied.

Reply to
R. Murphy

"Sie" mumbled:

Set belt tensioners are spring or pyrotechnic devices which on sudden decelleration snatch the buckle downwards pulling slack out of the belt. It's possible that there's a fault with one of these...and you don't want to go playing with 'em without reading the manual first!

BTW, seat belt /grabbers/ are different. They're in the reel and engage a set of spikes into the web as it leaves the reel so that excess web isn't payed out after the reel has locked by the webbing pulling tighter round the reel.

Reply to
Guy King

The only way to diagnose what is wrong is to go to a main dealer or other garage with the necessary dagnostic computer. The computer will come up with a fault code relating to the component in the airbag/seatbelt tensioner mechanism that is faulty.

First check underneath both front seats. There are connectors under each seat through which the seatbelt tensioner wiring passes. If these have been disturbed and are not pushed together firmly, then this will bring the light on.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Sorry don't think I explained my tests well enough. I tested them by snatching at them until they lock as would be the case in an accident. Which they do adequately.

Ta

Reply to
Sie

"Sie" mumbled:

But that doesn't test the seat belt tensioners...as I explained up ^ there somewhere.

Reply to
Guy King