Astra power loss

Hi,

I have a 2001 Astra coupe turbo, the orange engine light is on constantly and there is a large loss in power. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe the air flow sensor as a colleague had a similar fault but with a diesel passat, replacing the sensor cured it..

Could it be anything else? Can they be cleaned? If so, how??

Any advice appreciated so save me getting ripped off by dealers as usual....!!

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Without checking the codes on Tech2 you won't know anything for sure. The car has detected a problem and is running in safety mode.

Not all dealers will rip you (there are lots of us honest ones around) but all dealers will give you a fixed price for a diagnostic check using Tech 2 and then advise on what is required and a price. You can then decide where to get it repaired.

I know the car is out of warranty but a dealer can sometimes claim out of warranty repairs if the car has a full/proper Vauxhall dealer service history.

Good luck.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

It could be almost anything. The engine light usually indicates that the engine management has gone into an emergency mode as it has detected a problem.

You can pay a main dealer to read you the error codes from the system. Alternatively, it is usually possible to coax it to describe the error codes by flashing the light at you. Exactly how to do this, and how to interpret the codes, depends on the particular car.

I believe Gunsons does (at least they used to) a range of devices that can be plugged into the management socket, provided with a list of codes and how to interpret them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It looks like we both answered the post before it was sent!

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Cheers, the car has been modified a little (phase 2 chip and intercooler) so the warranty situation is difficult.. But a local garage can get someone in who'll do it for about £25 but he's off on holiday some i'm in dog slow mode for a week... probably not such a bad thing with all the fuel issues at the moment...

Local guy reckons air flow meter could be the problem but reckons that it may need tech2 to reset the codes anyway to get it back to a normal mode..

Thanks Alan.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

they charge £75!!!

As on reply to Alan, will be getting it checked out next week. Wonder how much the gunsons device is...

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Did light come on after a good thrashing? could be fouled O2 sensor - happens on chipped cars...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
"

I think I was giving it a bit when it first came on actually, heard a bit of a clunk too, didn't sound good! The light went off after a day or 2 then it came back about 3 weeks ago and has been on since, seriously down on power... It's like the turbo is only working lightly, it drives more like a normal 16v engine now (no midrange grunt).

Where are o2 sensors? what sort of money are they???

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Dave

On the exhaust I think, and mine was done under warranty.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp