Astra timing belt disaster

Hi! My 96 Astra 1.4 died the death on the motorway on Friday night, I got it towed back to the garage I usually use, who informed me the cam belt adjuster had seized, causing the belt to be stripped and very bad things then followed very shortly after.

Given I had the timing belt changed four months ago would / should any check be made on the adjuster?

To fix the engine the cost of the parts came to around £400 (4 inlet and exhaust valves, 8 lifters, 1 head set, 1 cam belt, 1 cam belt adjuster) and labour £210 (6 hours?) all with VAT on top. Is this about right as the office car experts reckon it should have come to £400 all in?

Many thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Gerbil

Hmmm...............

Tigras of that age were recalled to have the plastic tensioners replaced, for exactly this reason.

I was driving my wife's one when it started to let go, and got away with it, shutting down and getting recovered home. Fine, until the bloody thing let go getting the car off the trailer! I got away with only one bent valve though.

Was your Astra ever subject to a recall and did it get one?

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

Four months is a bit long if you're thinking of making a claim for dodgy workmanship.

Reply to
Conor

six months under sale of goods act isnt it? Before that time they have to prove there was nothing inherantly wrong, after that you have to prove it was wrong. Kinda...

Reply to
Barry

Yes but how would you prove faulty workmanship?

It is our normal practice to recommend rollers & tensioner are replaced but not all do.

The person who did it will claim that they listened to them and checked for wear and there was nothing there at the time.

Reply to
Alan

Thank you gentlemen for all the replies.

I'm getting rather suspicious of the bills from this particular garage, it sounds like it may be time to look for a new one. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Stockport / South Manchester area?

I'm not thinking of a claim for dodgy workmanship, as you say after four months it would be a bit optimistic! :-) This is for future reference.

Thanks again

Kevin

Reply to
Gerbil

Even better give us the name of the garage. I'm in S.Manch so the info shared would be usefull...I have a Dec 1997 1.4 astra At what point did they cut in the new tensioner ?

Reply to
Bill

Bill :- The tensioner seized on my Astra after 115000 miles, I've had the car since 45000 miles and the timing belt has been replaced every 30000 miles or so no-one has said anything about the tensioner.

The garage I have used for years in Stockport is Barbers on the Edgeley Road by the Cheadle Morrisons. But I'm a little concerned about the bills. I was convinced they did a good job, but after being told today they screwed up my exhaust I'm not so sure.

The last service I had was at Tenby Garage, (round the back of the market). which was a little more reasonable in terms of cost, but I've had little to do with them (and they don't open on Saturday which was a bit of a problem.)

Regards

Kev

Reply to
Gerbil