ATF as Diesel Injector Cleaner.

I remember reading on here that one can use ATF as injector cleaner in diesels..

So as part of the usual before MOT treatment I went to purchase myself some, however the bloke behind the counter told me not to use it as "it destroys the matrix in the fuel filter in Vauxhalls". Despite my protestations that the engine is actually an Isuzu and the fuel filter used for makes other than Vauxhall I wasn't for having it.

This same guy has past form for telling me that it wasn't faulty glow plugs, they had been burned out as the car was keeping them on for upto a minute after starting (all this from simply testing them on a Multi Meter). I asked oooh shouldn't they be on after the car starts on ANY car... He said never... I asked to see the Boss (It stated on the manufacturers website that they stay on for a while to help with emissions and are thus designed for that)

As skipweasel said "I think he's a lying twisting git."

However thinking I might have been dreaming but not being stupid I declined his kind offer of 300ml of Injector Cleaner for £7.50+VAT and came home to have a chat with google

See...

(its the google archive from this group) The usual reliable suspects comment, so I'm practically converted just worried about the Vauxhall thing?

TIA

Thomas

Reply to
Tom Burton

... ah, the old bloke behind the counter (BBtC).

I asked for the cheapest oil he had as I was keeping an old banger running for another few months and it was using it up fairly rapidly (1litre/1000 miles).

"Ooh no, in an old engine you should be using best quality oil, it won't burn it as quickly'

Reply to
PC Paul

Did he suck his teeth when he said that?

Reply to
Malc

That's because old engines piss modern synthetic oils out like an incontinent racehorse.

Reply to
SteveH

Arse.... I'll finish my post....

Or maybe just post something that makes sense.

I've tried modern, expensive oils in older cars and they do what I posted above....

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1hkygke.1cud28j1hz546jN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

Yebbut, we are talking about pouring ATF in the tank. It works, cos I've done it, and I'm about to do it again, with another car.

Reply to
Tunku

Is ATF anygood for cleaning Petrol Injectors.

Darren

Reply to
df

ATF is good for a lot of things. You can add some to engine oil on a CVH engine, run it for 30 minutes and then change the oil and it usually shuts up the lifters.

Reply to
Conor

Quite a few of the Golf bods do that for an engine flush type thing. Apparently you can sort rattley tappets with ATF too.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" wrote in news:44f80d3d$0$2512$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

ATF - The *Real snake oil ;-)

Reply to
Tunku

Never had that problem before, unless the engine already had a leak. I have a long list of older cars running on fully synths of the correct grades with up to 200K miles (16 years old) on them and none are leaking. It is a falacy that the seals "get used to" non-synth.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

However, although the grade may be the same, a lot of fancy synthetic oils are actually thinner than a mineral or semi-synth alternative.

It's these thin oils that piss out or burn off too quickly.

Reply to
SteveH

Think i might try the engine flush with ATF, What amount would you put in. If you use it in the fuel to clean the injectors, how much would you add.

Thanks

df

Reply to
df

If you use it in the fuel to clean the injectors, how much would

Previous Suggestions seem to suggest half a litre per tankful and it takes longer to work... So over two tankfuls :-)

Anyway mine is in now so if you see me parked up at the side of the M62 you know not to do it.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Again this is incorrect, the very fact that the oil is the same grade means the oil is tested to an international standard viscosity (thin-ness, if you will). The "fancy" synths you refer to are proper synth - ester based. These are better at clinging to metalic parts (like your cyl walls) and tend to get burned off easier on engines with a lot of bore wear. They do not, however, leak any easier, and are catagorically *not* any thinner.

Oils are an area where a lot of myth and, to be honest utter rubbish, still seems to hold weight - much the the dismay of the people who formulate the oils and spend thousands of hours testing them.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Hint: Density and viscosity are two different things. Hence 2 oils with the same rating can be different 'thicknesses' - which is why I stopped using Selenia in my Alfa 33.

Reply to
SteveH

All this technical garbage aside there is one point that seems to be overlooked by all the previous posters. ATF is usually red in colour adding a red colour to diesel is not a good idea makes it look like Gas Oil i.e. untaxed fuel............

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

The red in red diesel is a powerful dye, AIUI. ATF wouldn't have the same effect.

And I'm sure they would test it before prosecuting in any case...

Reply to
PC Paul

"PC Paul" wrote

I run everything except a couple of quad bikes and a chainsaw on diesel and have no problem whatsoever. Oh, and several heating systems on heating oil would you believe it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Lets get this straight. Thickness, or using the technical language viscosity, is the fluids resistance to flowing and therefore its likelyhood of leaking (less viscous materials can slip through tighter tolerances easier). Viscosity is not related to density as you say (otherwise the sea would be more viscous than oil, which is lighter for the same given volume). The "weight" of an oil has nothing to do with weight or density, it is a viscosity measurement, *standardised* across the lubrication industry of the planet and measured by the length of time it takes a specified amount of the oil to flow through a fixed diameter hole under gravity. A 10w40 synthetic has the same viscosity ("thickness") as a 10w40 dino oil, *BY DEFINITION*. If it was less viscous ("thinner") at any temperature it would have a lower SAE rating like 0w30. Thats the whole POINT of standards.

Reply to
Coyoteboy