Attn: Those who know about Rover MEMs

Hello, i've posted before about my stalling problem and i'm now more confused... I looked on Andrew W M's site and i tried disconnectiong the coolant temp sensor - when cold, the car normally idles at 1100rpm which is right, when i disconnect the sensor it drops to 850rpm. When the car is warm, it is about

850rpm, when disconected it stays there - i thought it should increase? I checked the resistance of the sensor and it's fine looking at the "usual" reading from the site. The stepper motor seems to work fine too. I was going to clean out the throttle body and try disconnecting the fuel temp sensor - but i notice there is something else under the temp sensor, could this be a second sensor? I remember reading it's possible there's two, but it doesn't have a wiring multiplug going into it, it is located directly under the temp sensor and goes into the thermostat housing.

Car is 1993 Rover 820 Vitesse 1994cc Garret T25 Turbo with Rover MEMS 1.6 system under bonnet, and under the seat is a second computer < What is this known as?

Thanks Paul

Reminder - Stalling occurs when using full lock when engine warm, not cold. There doesn't appear to be anything out of shape, MOT tester recently had a look over for me when the car had it's MOT two weeks ago. Id've thought it was a base idle adjustment but you can't do this on the MEMs?

Reply to
'Show

[...]

Update: Unplugged the bottom sensor too, no difference idle speed does not go up when warm but the temp gauge goes down when 2nd sensor is unplugged. If my sensors are unplugged how is the computer knowing when the engine is warm or cold? Is it using some kind of default setting e.g. it automatically assumes engine is warm after running for X amount of time?

Thanks

Reply to
'Show

That's because the 2nd sensor is connected to the dash temp. gauge only, so the gauge will of course die when you unplug it.

automatically

The ECU will perform a self test function when the ignition is first switched on and if any of the sensors are out of acceptable limits then a fault code is logged and the ECU substitues a default value in place of the defective sensor. If any sensor should go outside of acceptable limits whilst the engine is running then the same applies. In your case the ECU is not receiving any signal from the temp. sensor (because it's unplugged) so fault code '1' will be logged and it will substitute a default value that equates to a coolant temp. of 60deg C.

HTH

Reply to
Michael Cotton