Audi 80 fuel gauge

A friend of mine has an Audi 80 1993 which has developed an intermittent fuel gauge problem. Sometimes works, sometimes not or sometimes gives false low readings. I had a quick look when the gauge wasn't working and gave the top of the instrument panel a bang with my hand and the gauge started to move but very slow. Next to the fuel gauge I noticed an adjuster which according to the handbook says it is a fuel gauge adjuster only to be used by Audi technicians. You can just feel the tip of this adjuster sticking out of the plastic instrument panel so I gave this a gentle tap and the gauge started to work again. Does this sound like a loose connection somewhere in the gauge? and anyone know what this fuel gauge adjuster is for as I've never seen one before.

Reply to
redwood

It's there to enable you to set the position of the pointer when the tank is (virtually) empty so that you don't have to guess how much is left in the tank!

Reply to
Art Deco