Audi 80 rear caliper leak?

Audi 80 1993 2.0

My brother came to visit and as he was leaving I noticed a wet patch on the inside of the rear tyre. A closer inspection showed it was brake fluid seeping from the rear LH caliper. It seems to be coming from the back of the caliper around the handbrake mechanism and dribbling down the handbrake cable. Is there a separate seal at the back of the caliper that could have gone as I understand these cars have the handbrake mechanism incorporated into the rear calipers? If so, can these be fixed with seal kit or is it a new caliper job?

Reply to
Shawneo

More likely is a damaged or loose hose/pipe.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Definitely coming from the rear h/brake shaft. Says he's had trouble in the past with seized caliper slides and h/brake not working properly with this caliper so probably kick this into touch and just fit a new recon unit.

Reply to
Shawneo

Calipers with handbrake built in are a sod to strip and rebuild, and frequently it is hard to get bits, so a recon caliper is easiest. they are about 60 - 70 quid from gsf (each)

Reply to
mrcheerful

GSF and Brakes International are quoting around £75+vat. Not sure what the repair kits are but heard they are a right PITA to fix so for an easy life will go with the new unit.

Reply to
Shawneo