Audi A3 Squealing wheel/brakes

Any suggestion for the cause of this seen as my dealer claim they are unable to reproduce?

Audi A3 (2003) - after about 10 minutes of driving one of the wheels starts to give a metalic squeeling sound intermittantly up to about 30mph. When applying the brakes of any pressure the sound disappears. If (when stationary) I press really hard on the brakes the intermittant squeeling sound seems to disappear for a bit longer. Occurs regardless of weather/temperature.

Not long has its MOT and nothing reported there. Had a service at an Audi dealer who said they were unable to reproduce, but couldn't see any problems with the wheel/brakes and suggested its probably dirt so pressure washed the wheel. Made no difference at all.

No warning lights on the dash to indicate low brake pads etc - car doesn't feel any different to drive and brakes still stop the car as good as ever!

Any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andrew

Usual way is a *thin* smear of copper grease on the *back* of the pads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave. Would this still be the case on the brake pads even though they've not been changed.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes. Clean the bits that slide as well. (My mum says that the garage demonstrated that greasing the discs on her Hillman Imp also solved the squealing problem but she doesn't recommend it, or them )

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Greasing the discs only transfers the squealing problem to the interior of the car, surely?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel