audi a4 1997 handbrake?

Can anyone please tell me where the cable adjustment is on a 1997 audi a4 avant 1.9 tdi, I have fitted new pads and the pistons have auto rotated into position as far as they are going. The cable is now slightly long resulting in the handbrake lever travelling way too far before the brakes are applied.

Reply to
Richard

The handbrake adjuster collars are situated above the exhaust pipe. You'll need to remove the heat shields for access. You'll first need to lock the handbrake cable compensating pulley in position by passing a screwdriver through the hole in the handbrake lever mounting bracket (access via ashtray in front console). Then it gets complicated (half a page dedicated to this alone in Haynes!). LOL

Reply to
Art

Arrrrrrr a simple job then, I though the pads were difficult, I had to make the tool to force the piston back, quarter inch steel plate with a hole tapped out for a 12mm bolt for force and a set of good old mole grips for rotation worked a treat.

Reply to
Richard

When you say above the exhaust pipe how far down the vehicle?

Reply to
Richard

Just about where the heat shields are :-)

Reply to
Art