audi a4 RPM drops (LIKE A HICCUP) ??

hello everyone i have a problem in audi A4 1.8T (2002). i hope some one can answer me and really appreciate it.

what it does is....when u run the car some time and stuck in a traffic jam (or when idling), the rpm drops down suddenly and then settles down (this is like a hiccup).

This does not happen all the time.

Also some times I can see on my tachometer that rpm goes slightly up to stop the engine being stopped (something like dragging)

I have been in audi and they replaced the air mass meter and it did not fix the problem.

Then I went there again and they said the throttle body is cleaned. But the problem still exists . Please help me if someone came across this sort of problem.

One gentleman already came up saying that he had a similar problem and cleaned the throttle body and set everything using vag com. But it did not cure it and found out that the split hose causing the problem.

i am thingking of taking the car again to the dealer and get the hoses checked and if someone elase come up with anything else, i would be really greatful.

Thank you

LAKMAL

Reply to
LAKMAL

Tricky, - the garage has already performed the two operations that nearly always cause these motors to hiccup at idle- they are abit prone.

Ask the dealer to have another go at re-aligning the throttle body via the VAGCOM, and check the vaccuum hoses, and PCV system.

If this fails, you could be looking at a coil pack that is *just* beginning to go faulty.- but nigh on impossible to diagnose until it gets worse.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Sometimes this happens when the cooling fan kicks in and you get a short drop in the revs as the alternator is suddenly presented with an additional few amps load until the anti-stall kicks in.

Reply to
Conor

Check all the ignition leads.

I had a similar symptom which turned into a misfire and the last thing I checked was the ignition leads, to find one with a broken terminal.

Reply to
Mark W

This engine uses coil-on-plug.

Tim. .