Audi A4 transmission problem

I run in to a problem with my 1996 Audi A4 (2.8l)with automatic transmission. The transmission does not shift properly anymore. Also all the lights (PRND32) are lit up. A VW mechanic checked the car and said it needs a transmission multifunction switch. My Questions are : How much does such a switch cost? How much time is involved to change the switch? The estimate was realy high. Any comments?

Reply to
Markus

A VW mechanic checked the car and said it needs a transmission multifunction switch.

Why did you not ask the mechanic / garage these questions??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The mechanic is not specialized on Audi Cars. He said he specializes in VW's. The price of the switch is around Can $ 300.00. He could not give me a quote on the labour. I think it is a very expensive switch.

Reply to
Markus

I'd imagine that is the switch which lets the ECU know which gear position is selected. Like any switches, the contacts wear out or become dirty over time and no longer 'make'. You may be able to take the switch apart (though it'll almost certainly be a sealed unit - spares are big business!) and clean the contacts up yourself in which case it'll only cost you your time and maybe a can of switch cleaning fluid.

Most of your quote is likely to be labour charges - I've no idea of how to remove the switch on an Audi but it'll most likely involve removing the centre console or crawling underneath to get at it. Either way I'd estimate a couple of hours to do the job but I haven't seen what's involved.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis