Audi remote locking

I've a 94 100 Avant.

Is there any way of telling whether it ever originally had remote locking and the plib's been lost, or whether it was never fitted in the first place?

Thanks.

Reply to
Guy King

I'd be surprised if a car of this age and price didn't have it? But most will also work from the front doors and boot if they're like BMWs of this age.

My immediate thought would be to remove one of the rubber gaskets going into a door and check the cables. A rear door is likely to only have an electric window and possibly a courtesy light of some sort.

If it were Lucas wiring you'd know the colours to look for. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's unlikely to have had it, if it did have it fitted as an optional extra then there's a little IR sensor

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

It works from the driver's door lock, you have to turn it twice to open all the other doors. It's the remote bit I'm not sure about.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

Where - and what's it look like?

Reply to
Guy King

IIRC it's a little blob on the B posts trim. If you've got it but not the key it's probably cheaper to buy an aftermarket one.

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

The trouble with that is interfacing it to the existing factory alarm.

Reply to
Guy King

If it's the base level alarm (no ultrasonics) then it's suprisingly good at detecting the key up to about 6'. Try it wehn you won't irritate the neighbous by locking it & leaving the window down.

Reply to
Duncanwood

There should be an IR sensor near the bottom of the pillar between the front and rear doors. I'd say that's a fair sign it was fitted with it!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ah - misread the post. It wasn't a factory fit on my '92 BMW 525 SE if that helps.

You'd get the bits to do it from Maplin for not a lot, though. Or even Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

Detecting /what/ key? The key is a plain metal one.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Right. In that case I suppose it wasn't!

Reply to
Guy King

Does the alarm set when the doors are locked manually?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Yes. It's the only way the doors can be locked as I have no remote. It appears there never was a remote.

Reply to
Guy King

Well, assuming the driver's door has a motor and isn't like the Montego, etc, adding a Maplin remote should set the alarm too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Trouble is, unlocking it involves turning the key twice, which I don't think the alarm will manage.

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds like it's got deadlocks. By old BMW had those, and if you did deadlock it (with the key) the remote wouldn't open it. It had an aftermarket alarm and remote.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remote ultra-sonic locking (and alarming) was an option for Audis around this year.

Look here :

These are what would have been fitted at the factory if that option was required.

I bought one of these kits for my 1995 Coupe. A very easy fit (easier still for an Avant!) and works well. Basically, unplug a multi-connector on you central locking vacuum pump (located just inside your tailgate area on the off-side) plug this unit in and piggy back original one.

Contact the guys at VagParts to see if its appropriate for you 100.

Reply to
boez_news

The message from boez snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk contains these words:

That's the thing! Mine does all the close the windows business. I'll give 'em a go.

Thanks.

Reply to
Guy King

ON mine the alrm went off if you opened the doors & the key was more than

10' away, if the key was in your pocket then it didn't. Even the plain metal keys got the immobiliser codes in it.
Reply to
Duncanwood