Auto box and brake servo woes

2.0 VVTi Toyota Avensis Estate 51 plate (Nov 2001) with 81,285 on the clock

Firstly, when I put my foot on the brake pedal I can hear a hissing sound. I'm told that this is a problem with the brake servo and that I need a repair kit. I only found this out tonight so haven't had a chance to call to a local car parts shop to see if I can get one there or if it's going to be a "main dealer only" part - but I'll bet it's the latter and I'll have to sell a kidney to get it.

While I'm in hospital selling the kidney, they may as well take a lung and the pancreas as well, to go along with the arm and a leg that repair or replacement of the automatic gearbox is going to cost :o(

We've had the car for about four months and in that time we've been on holiday to my sister-in-law's place in France in it and done a fair bit of running around, probably covering about 4,000 miles. All in all, I was very happy with it but had a slight little niggle that it just didn't seem to be quite right, gearbox-wise, but I convinced myself that it was just down to the fact that I had to get used to it because, although I've been driving automatics for 20 years, they've all been 2.8litre engines or above (Granada

2.8i Ghia X, Granada Scorpio 2.9 Ghia, Rover 800 Sterling (x2), Nissan QX 3.0 SEL), all far faster and more "luxury" than the 2.0 Avensis.

I don't suppose there can be a quick, cheap, easy-to-fix reason for the gearbox to be slipping, can there? I've had the transmission fluid drained and replaced while clutching at a box of straws - fluid that came out was darker than when I checked it on the forecourt before buying the car. Any ideas what's wrong and how much it's going to cost to fix?

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John

For any questions related to autobox repair/remanufacture, speak to these guys:

really *know* automatic transmissions inside out and are the frim many dealers use.

JB

JB

Reply to
JB

Thanks JB, will do.

John

Reply to
John

Autos have clutches. Several. A combination of off/on between them gives the various ratios. If any one of them is slipping it really means total overhaul of the box as they are all internal and the labour involved in replacing just the one is nearly the same as doing them all. There is no easy fix for a slipping auto box clutch - anymore than there is an easy fix for a slipping clutch on a manual box setup.

I'd say the *total* cost of overhaul will be between 1000-2000 quid, depending on the make and type of auto. The alternative is to fit a secondhand one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sort of what I thought :o(

John

Reply to
John

You could try honestjohn.co.uk - The Telegraphs motoring "agony aunt" i seem to recall a couple of auto transmission experts there reasonably priced

Reply to
Tommy

Cheers mate,

John

Reply to
John

I'd be very wary. The majority of small firms simply fit other's 'reconditioned' boxes. Often simply cleaned up secondhand. Ask to see the workshop where they recondition them.

Overhauling an auto is a time consuming process that requires skill and good standards of cleanliness. I know as I've done several. It's not something where you can cut corners. So if 'reasonably priced' I'd ask why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)