Automatic gearbox woes

Hi Folks,

I have a Mazda MPV import - a "Bongo Friendee". Its got a 2.5 diesel with

4wd coupled via an 4 speed automatic box. The auto box has started playing up. The very first sign of trouble was when I selected "R" and nothing happened - no drive at all. The van was warm, so I let it cool down for a couple of hours and retried. Initially, the same thing happened then there was a clunk from the 'box and it worked.

This symptom hasnt reocurred however.

Now, the symtoms are these:

When cold:

  1. The box "grabs" when D is selected - i.e. the van lurches forward alarmingly. Similar to taking ones foot off the clutch very quickly with a manual box.

  1. The box refuses to disengage when the van stops, resulting in it crabbing forward with the engine labouring at very low revs. Eventually the engine stalls. Similar to fogetting to depress the clutch with a manual box.

  2. When one does manage to get going it seems "stuck" in 3rd or 4th gear (not sure which) for a while.

When warm: Its much better - none of the above seem to happen.

However sometimes it changes down too early and sometimes the box seems to change too often - its as if it cant make up its mind what gear it should be in.

I checked the gearbox oil and there is certainly enough. If anything, its too full. The van has done @50k miles. I called a couple of auto gearbox firms in the yellow pages and they both said that they thought there was something major broken inside the box. But if that is true I dont understand why it is much better when warm.

Questions:

What could be wrong? I know nothing about auto gearboxes :-( Is it worth changing the oil to see if that helps? Can anyone recomend a reputable firm?

Thanks in advance - Adam Lipscombe

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe

The message from " Adam Lipscombe" contains these words:

Sorry, but I can't possibly answer your question till I've got the choccy biscuit crumbs out of the keyboard and stopped giggling.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah its a daft name :-) Probably sounds OK in Osaka.. Check out

for the UK web site.

Cheers - Adam

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe

if you bought it from a garage in the last 6 month.

take it back get them to sort it., Sue them if need be for selling car as unfit for purpose.

they will probably claim all sorts to wriggle out & try very hard not to pay.

this will be expensive.

flushing gb is not the answer.

our experiance is that good auto garages that are hard to find.

we had to take one garage to court for cocking up repair of autobox (we won).

Reply to
Robin

In general with autos, the labour cost of removal and stripping is such that it's only ever worth doing a full overhaul at the same time - the parts themselves aren't that expensive.

Changing the oil won't make any difference.

It might help if you said which area you lived in for recommendations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from " Adam Lipscombe" contains these words:

Hmmm, it's not just the name that's ugly, is it!

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for your input.

I live in Perranporth, Cornwall. Theres a couplem of automatic transmission people in the local Yellow Pages but they botgh sounded pretty dozy and unhelpful.

Cheers- Adam

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe

Is it a conventional automatic with a torque converter?

It could be the hydraulic pump at fault, Reverse is usually the first gear to disappear if this is the case.

In the worst instance, if the vehicle has a heat exchanger from the transmission oil to the coolant (a simple pipe running though the bottom of the radiator) engine coolant can get into the transmission oil and destroy the transmission comprehensively.

Reply to
Mark W

If the fault was in the hydraulics. Crap in the valve chest etc, it could explain why it's better warm than cold. Would still need stripping to fix. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If the pump fails, nothing works at all. If the pressure from it is low, the most likely faults are slipping on changes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

may explain the name better

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Before you spend in excess of £1500 I would strongly suggest that you ring Mazda and check the recommended spec and quantity of the transmission fluid ( don't ask anyone else as they will probably just guess), then go to Mill Autos and buy the required stuff and drain and refill. Be very careful that you don't overfill as it is a lot easier to add oil than remove it. TBH it probably wont cure the problem but it might, if you have to have the box removed and serviced you are into serious money!

Reply to
Fred

Automatic transmission fluid ain't cheap. Why throw money away - it won't help. There *might* be something to be said for routine changes - but as a precaution, not after something has gone wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I pay about £7.00 for 5ltrs of Dexron 2

Why throw money away -

I would rather chance a tenner than pay at least a grand ( if you can find someone to touch a 4wd automatic import)! it won't

How do you know? The OP said it seems to be overfilled, so it must be worth a go?

There *might* be something to be said for routine changes - but as

There might be something said for knowing what you are on about too! I own a garage repair business and have been trading for 12yrs, I have been working in the motor trade for 20 yrs. I said it probaly won't cure the problem, but it will only cost a fraction of the price of removing the box and repairing it. A chance worth taking ! And you're claim to fame is?

Reply to
Fred

You know it uses Dexron II, and that the OP can buy it for this price? And that he can change it himself? Or that it's a box where the fluid can be changed?

Care to explain from your obvious 'experience' what good changing the fluid will do? Be as explicit as you want. How is it going to stop a clutch grabbing, etc?

On the basis of trying anything?

Oh dear - a 'pro' has spoken, so we must all bow to his greater knowledge. Just how many autos have you *personally* overhauled? I've done a few, but them I'm not a pro...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You're probably right. You could also be a very good car mechanic. But the fact remains that many of those in the motor trade, car mechanics included are incompetent. Time served doesn't neccessarily equate with either ability, or knowledge You must be just as well aware of that as I am. How long you've been in the motor trade cuts no ice with me, or with many others in this n/g I would guess. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That's right. You tell him Dave. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You are wrong! the time spent mending cars is the key! Qualifications are not as important as time served fixing the damn things! I learn something new every week , experience is everything thing !

Reply to
Fred

The message from "Fred" contains these words:

Oh dear, one of these.

Reply to
Guy King

Hey gents, I didnt want to start a flame war - thanks everyone for your input!

I might try to change the fluid first as it do9es seem to be overfilled. I had a look underneath and cant see a drain plug or anything that looks like one. Anyone know how to do this?

Cheers - Adam

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe