Axle stand locations for Sierra estate

A friend has asked me to do some work on his 1990(H) Sierra 1.8LX estate. I'm ok with the trolley jack locations (from the handbook and the Haynes), but the axle stand locations are given as the usual front and rear sill positions also used when using the car's own jack. The trouble is, there's a seam running along the lower edge of the sills as you'd expect, and then there's only a small area before the floorpan curves down. So there's nowhere flat to position the axle stands against. I have two types of axle stands - one set have V shaped heads (Clarke ones from Machine Mart) and the other set have flat heads angled up at the edges (Halfords). What's the best way to use these to support the Sierra estate without causing any damage?!

TIA, Jon.

Reply to
Jon Fox

sierra estate man in the house so listen up :)

on the front, you jack the car up as you do (with the normal sierra jack it is very perilous so it's better to use a trolley jack and position the trolley cup over the anti roll bar to body mount you can then place the axle stand on the front cross member just after the track control arm mounts

for the rear, you will have space to lift the car from the lower shock absorber mounting (trolley jack cup) or lift it using the sierra jack (again, at your peril) the axle stand then is positioned underneath the actual rear beam this way you can drop the suspension if you need to and as the beam mounts directly to the body, it's perfectly safe AND you can use a welder to weld the sills (if that's what you are doing :) )

Reply to
dojj

glad to have helped :) and as long as you jack in a safe place, sierra's tend to have a habit of being heavier on one side than the other :)

Reply to
dojj