axle stand point

I'm a little confused on where to put an axle stand. I understand I should get under a car without one incase the jack fails.

I have read in a vw polo forum (car is a 1.4 polo 2001) that I should use a supplied jack and jack up on a seal and put the axle stand on the jacking point wwhich has a rubber gromit, which makes me wonder why I bought a trolley jack. There must be a suitable place to put the jack and the stand.

thanks

Reply to
tishtash

On the assumption that your car is a Polo, get a Haynes manual for it. They are not perfect, but do have the sort of information you seem to need.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

DO NOT jack up on a seal! You will be clubbed to death for this.

Reply to
gazzafield

I have one and it says to cut a piece of wood and put that on my axle stand and put that under a reinforced section of the sill, but according to a few posts I have found in a polo forum they say it will and has crumpled the sill, so I asked in here for some help.

Reply to
tishtash

"gazzafield" wrote in message news:i8OdnUd578taZn snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

I mean't sill. There are reinforced sills all around the car where the supplied jack a a special attachment to place and you can jack it up from there. I have a spot to jack the car up just don't know where to safely put the axle stand.

Reply to
tishtash

In respect of this type of advice, I have found Haynes to be very reliable over a 40-year period of using them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I thought the best thing to do is get a manual for basic car maintence and the haynes seems top stuff as have been for people for many years, although some call it the book of lies it at least gets you on the right track, some say it not as acccurate as it used to be. I can't say as this is my first haynes.

In releation to my question it seems specifically says to put an axle stand on a sill which I'm not so sure is a good idea.

Reply to
tishtash

May I suggest and Axle? :-p

I'll get me coat...

Reply to
Spookydel

Why? They are the main structural section of your car from the front to back. If you think it may collapse if you put an axle stand under it your car is not fit for the road.

Reply to
gazzafield

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

I read on a polo forum of some cars sills collapsing due to weight, so it put me off and I thought I'd seek advice.

Reply to
tishtash

lol

Reply to
tishtash

I would say the cars were rotten then.

Reply to
gazzafield

That'll be mainly because the sill was constructed of rust.

Reply to
David R

That can indeed be the case. The sill although being structural, is not always strong enough to take the weight of the car, as except at the jacking points it's often not designed to take a vertical load . This can often be got round by spreading the load over a long length of the sill, as suggested by the Haynes manual. Often the best way to get the car on axle stands, is to use the jacking points to raise the car, then put the axle stands under a suspension point. Providing the tyres dont get in the way, it's surprising how many suitable points can be used. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Most places you can put a stand look strong enough, ie it's not just a plain piece of body panel like a sill. Where a sill is meant to be used for a jack or stand it usually looks "beefed up". You have to use common sense and judgement. If you put the wooden end of a hammer against the part like a sill, and push, if you feel it bending in, it's definitely not strong enough to support the car. Most places that suspension units are mounted will be strong enough, but again, you have to judge.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks for that, is a crossmember suitable ? I was just looking at the haynes and apicture of the underside looking for a solid place to put it.

Reply to
tishtash

You've not added anything new. Merely repeated virtually everything I said in my earlier post. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Here's a screengrab for your car, save you buying a Haynes Manual

A C

Actually, no. But anyway, So? Sometimes people repeat things I've said, but I don't start bleating about it. Grow up FFS.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

thasts very handy! thanks

Is it poosible you have one for a mk4 2001 golf (dads car) ?

Reply to
tishtash