Axle stand point

Feel a bit stupif asking but I picked up some axle stands today to use for forthcoming mechanic work and I'm not sure where I should put them (careful :) )

The guy I bought them from said he uses them under the jacking points :s not sure about that. Obviously they are called axle stands and should be put under the axles ?

Anyone got a picture of where they go ?

This is a genuine question not a troll incase someone thinks I'm on a windup

Cheers

Reply to
magicman

I tend to stick them under the suspension bottom arm mounting points.

Alternatively, depending on the car, gearbox and engine mounting points can also be suitable.

Axle stand comes from the days of solidly mounted axles - you wouldn't get away with it on most modern cars with relatively weedy independent suspension.

Reply to
SteveH

Your car workshop manual may well have a diagram of where to put them, some do. Also it varies according to which part of the vehicle you need access to. Generally speaking, you should put them under a part you consider to be strong enough to take the weight of the car. Some cars have chunky cross members, some don't.

But the most important thing is *never* to work underneath a vehicle supported only by a jack.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

"shazzbat" wrote

Personally, I would also suggest placing some dunnage between the axle stand and the car to prevent slipping and/or removal of rustproofing from the chosen position.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

If your are not sure then the jacking points are a good place to start, but how are you going to jack the car?

Reply to
Fred

Under wishbones, suspension mounts, anywhere that's solid, won't slip and is intended to take a goodly proportion of the weight of the car.

Reply to
Malc

It depends on the jacking points. If it's the sort of jack that fits in a hole in the sill etc the metal beneath that might not be particularly strong as it's the inner structure that takes the stress. If, however, it jacks directly on the sill then that's a good place for the stand. I always use a bit of stout timber to protect the paint etc though.

Any main suspension mounts are also a good bet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)