Baby in car

It has been suggested to my daughter in her anti natal classes that she might like to immobilise the passenger side airbag on her Astra so that the baby due in a few weeks can be carried in the front safely. Her hubby wants to have a go at doing this but I have advised caution.

Questions is :-

How easy is this to do..?

Is it advisable ?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Farrell

Sam Farrell ( snipped-for-privacy@samfarrell.wanadoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Obviously, in a baby seat.

On some cars, it's as easy as putting the key into the "Disable the passenger airbag" switch that's marked with a big bright sticker.

On others, there is no switch.

Yes. If there's a switch. No. If there isn't. Shove the sprog in the back.

Reply to
Adrian

I think 'suggested' is a bit weak. Usually the words "airbag" and "baby" usually have the word "never" in the same sentence.

"If the front passenger seat has an air bag, under no circumstances place a rearward-facing infant car seat in that spot"

Some cars have a switch or similar to disable the passenger airbag for these situations - if this is the case, then it's safe to do. However, if it doesn't then put the baby in the back - fiddling with airbags without the relevant knowledge is potentially dangerous.

David Hearn

Does anybody know the 'official' line (if there is one) on front facing child seats and airbags? Try as I might I've not found anywhere that says its OK or not OK. (Its a 2 seater so the back isn't an option). I assume its OK with the seat back as far as possible, the problem with rear facing ones being the baby's head next to an explosive device.

BTW I was told by a police safety person that those little strap pads are supposed to be placed from the shoulders down across the ribs to spread the load, and aren't there just to stop the baby's neck getting chafed.

Zimmy

From

=============

  1. Why can't I use a rear-facing baby seat in a seat protected by an active frontal air-bag? Air-bags are powerful safety devices. A rear-facing baby seat could be hit by a frontal air-bag if it deployed - and could be thrown up and towards the rear of the vehicle. This means that the baby seat and child could be completely unrestrained during a crash.
  2. Can I use a forward facing child seat or booster in a seat fitted with an active air-bag? See what the car handbook says about children in seats with frontal air-bags. This can vary from car to car. We strongly recommend that advice should be followed because air-bags are powerful safety devices that must be treated with respect. Children, and adults for that matter, should not sit close to an active frontal air-bag. We suggest that the car seat should be as far back as possible from an air-bag. ==============

Since this is the gov.uk site saying it, I'd presume there is no law against it, just a strong suggestion. I know some cars have a fuse just for the passenger airbag, so that's an option.

Reply to
PC Paul

I know some cars have a fuse just for the

very different from actualy turning the airbag off by the proper means, so im not sure how you would get on with an insurance claim if it was found the fuse was removed, causing the airbag not to deploy.

Reply to
reg

If your car does not have a proper airbag switch then you cannot disable just the passenger airbag. Pulling fuses or disconnecting the airbag will cause the system to register a fault which will disable the whole airbag/ seat belt grabber system and cause the airbag warning light to stay on. Remember that when this light is on none of you cars modern safety systems will work which will effect the safety of all occupants in the car and may well invalidate your insurance in some circumstances so leave well alone. If a main dealer cannot or will not disable an air bag then perhaps you need to consider buying another car!!

Reply to
radar

Or put the child seat in the back.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The message from "Duncan Wood" contains these words:

I think he said it's a two-seater. Time to buy a runabout or a bike.

Reply to
Guy King

I've not often seen a 2 seater Astra!

Reply to
Fred

The message from "Fred" contains these words:

Ah, looking back it was someone else with the 2-seater.

Reply to
Guy King

Astra convertable? Not very good looking, are they, if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Yozzi

Van?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Just throw a blown fuse in there and claim you never knew :D

Airbags are known to seperate heards from their arteries even in low speed incidents, mainly when seatbelts arent used, so that shows how powerful they are lol. I'd not just go snipping wires, they are voltage-driven explosive devices and the slightest static zap could fire it off in your face while youre working up close.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Thanks guys for the advice.

Looks like junior will be travelling in the back

Sam ,

Reply to
Sam Farrell

It does tend to be US-spec bags that do that sort of thing.

Which are designed for 'slightly' heavier people who refuse to wear their seatbelts. And hence have lots more oomph than Euro spec.

Reply to
PC Paul

I know someone who triggered an airbag as he installed/used a high power VHF radio transceiver in the drivers seat. He pressed the PTT and instantly punched himself in the face with the mike. Broken nose for him and a good laugh for us. This was a very old airbag design tho.

Rv!

Reply to
Rv!

Vauxhall refused to do this on our Tigra - a matter of any subsequent accident and failure to operate leaving them potentially liable

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

The Boxster has a telltale that lights up when the passenger side airbag is disabled, so that you remember to re-enable it if an adult/larger child is in the seat.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Peter Twydell wrote: .

Something modern that I read about has an RFID transponder in the factory-option car seat which only disables the airbag when the seat is present. Clever stuff.

Reply to
PC Paul