Backsmash Ford Focus Edge

My lads new (had it a 6 weeks) Ford focus edge 1.6,

was last night rear ended in quite a bad way by an (assumed) hit and run drunk.

All the back drivers side quarter caved in.

He is insured with Elephant which traces through to Admiral (gibralter)

He has ford finance on the car

His insurers are picking up the car this evening and taking to gravesend coachworks for assessment and repair.

He took out gap insuance to cover the finance diff in case of write off. He took out cover for supply of a courtesy car (travels gravesend to greenwich daily)

Questions

1 They are saying he may have to wait two or three days for a courtesy car Why ?

2 Should the car be taken to Main Ford dealer where car was purchased ?.

3 As he has AA cover would this not provide his courtesy car in the interim ?.

They take the money then !

BTIA

Reply to
Capstick

You normaly only get a replacement car once the repairers are authorised to carry out the repairs. Otherwise if your claim was less than you're excess you'd lose your no claims bonus & get no money.

Depends on your anti corrosion warranty conditions etc. You probably find they sub out their coachwork anyway.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hello,

Have you tried asking the people supplying the courtesy car why there is a delay of two to three days, I doubt anyone on here will know unless they work for the company or are psychic. Only the company can give you the answer, maybe they don't have any available or consider the driver to be too much of a risk. Why would the car be taken back to the main dealer from which it was purchased? Do you not want the insurance company to sort out the repair? I doubt the main dealer would appreciate it being taken back to them and the insurance company might get annoyed as they would have to arrange for it to be collected and taken to the chosen place of repair. Again, unless someone knows exactly which policy and the terms and conditions of it, or they happen to be psychic, you should ask the AA for questions relating to the AA policy.

You might get the answers you need by speaking to the people concerned, it would be much quicker than having people guess at solutions or tell you what happened to them years ago.

Reply to
Geoff

Maybe they do not have a car available straight away? Have you asked them why?

Your insurance is paying for the repair, they will take it to their selected repairer.

Only if he has relay plus cover.

They give it all back, and then some, to pay for the repair to his car.

Reply to
SimonJ

Given the car is under a year old, I suspect it will be replaced with a brand new car... and you will only get a courtesy car normally, once an insurer has inspected the damage concerned, and agreed for the repairs to take place.

As far as a repairer is concerned, if they aren't going to be earning any money from repairing a vehicle, why should they provide a benefit in kind, as in a courtesy car.

Ooh yes.

Last time someone I knew did that, they ended up with a reshelled car - nice job done, shame about the oversight in the 'ensuring the new shell has a chassis number stamped into it', department.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
Jack Hackett

Not always the case, When my car was damaged in a similar incident I told the insurance company where I wanted the car repaired even though they wanted me to take it elsewhere, You do have a choice.

Reply to
Marky

If it's not your fault. Otherwise it's normally way easier to leave it to the insurance company, then if the bodyshop buggers it up they're normally happy to sort it out.

Reply to
Duncan Wood