Bad fuel economy...

What can cause bad fuel economy? I've noticed a drop off in my MPG (1993 Pug 405 1.6i), assuming driving style is the same and theres no leak in the tank, what can cause bad economy? I am just about to set about cleaning the air filter (its a washable K&N).

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

"Dan405" mumbled:

Don't know what sort of airflow sensor your car has, but some get grubby with age and which can affect your mixture. Even if it's making it run slightly lean it may mean that you need more boot to get the same performance as usual.

Thinking about it, anything that's degrading the performance of the car will lead you to push harder to get the same result...with attendant fuel costs, so a new set of plugs, clean filter, clean oil etc may well help.

Reply to
Guy King

In addition to the above, you may get some benefit from replacing the oxygen sensor. If your vehicle has over 75,000 miles on it or is driven extensively around town the sensor may be carboned up.

If the mixture is off at higher RPM's it will really decrease your mileage.

Reply to
Anonymous

Poor general tune- knackered plugs, leads, valve clearances, etc.

Lazy o2 sensor.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Binding brakes Under inflated tyres Tracking out Combination of above

Reply to
Alan Shilling