balljoints - how worn is worn?

Just changed both balljoints on my brothers ZX. They are obviously both worn , but I want to know how worn. On the replacements you can't even move the shank by hand, on the worn ones, they wobble freely with no force at all. How can I tell just how worn they are for next time? I'm guessing these ones are totally worn out as the car actually drives nicely again...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

The message from "Mike P" contains these words:

It's not the floppiness that's the fault, it's the vertical play. It's tested by someone with a lever crowbarring the wheel up and down while someone else looks at the joint to see if it's moving up and down.

Because most of the wear occurs in one position only, the joint may be fine in all positions except one.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks guy. I can pull the shank up and down by a couple of mil on each worn one so I repsume they are both shot.

cheers!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

The message from "Mike P" contains these words:

Exceedingly!

Reply to
Guy King